Motor vehicle license plates; obtaining an insurance license plate for small vehicles.

Certain smaller motor vehicles do not require registration to participate in public road traffic, but only an operating permit and an insurance license plate.


For operation on public roads, the following motor vehicles only require an operating license and an insurance license plate:

  • Mopeds, such as mopeds and mopeds, that do not exceed 50 cm3 in displacement and do not travel faster than 45 km/h.
  • Electric bicycles with pedal assistance at speeds above 25 km/h or pedal-independent motor assistance above 6 km/h up to a maximum of 45 km/h.
  • Segways and similar mobility aids with electric propulsion and a maximum speed of up to 20 km/h.
  • Quads and trikes with a maximum speed of max. 45 km/h determined by the design and an engine capacity of max. 50 cm3.
  • E-scooters that have an operating permit and a maximum speed of 45 km/h.
  • Motorized invalid carriages
  • Mopeds and mopeds from GDR production with a maximum speed of up to 60 km/h, which were already insured before 01.03.1992.

The insurance license plate proves that a motor vehicle liability insurance exists for the respective motor vehicle in the corresponding insurance year.

The insurance license plate is issued directly by the motor insurers. It is valid for one insurance year from March 01 to the end of February of the following year.

The insurance license plate consists of a plate with a unique identification number, the traffic year and the sign of the responsible association of motor insurers. If no association is responsible, the plate bears the sign of the insurer.


The vehicle complies with the construction and operation regulations and there is a motor vehicle liability insurance in accordance with the compulsory insurance law.


The owner concludes an insurance contract with a domestic insurance company authorized to operate motor vehicle liability insurance. After conclusion of the contract and payment of the insurance premium, the insurer provides the owner with the insurance license plate together with a corresponding certificate for the respective traffic year.

For storage in the Central Vehicle Register of the Federal Motor Transport Authority, the applicant shall provide the insurer with his or her keeper data, details of the vehicle class, type of bodywork and make of the vehicle, as well as the vehicle identification number, and provide proof of these on request.

Special notes

Very small electric vehicles receive an insurance sticker instead of the insurance license plate. This is based on the same design specifications, but is smaller and can be applied as a sticker.


The insurance license plate and the certificate lose their validity at the end of the traffic year.

The driver must carry the insurance plate certificate with him and hand it over to the responsible persons for inspection upon request.

Required documents

  • The insurance company requires the following data:

    • Keeper data
    • details of the vehicle category, type of bodywork and make of the vehicle, as well as the vehicle identification number


  • Insurance premium


Responsible for editing:Bundesministerium für Digitales und Verkehr

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.