Technology; application for funding for research and development projects
With the Bavarian Technology Promotion Programme plus (BayTP+), the Free State of Bavaria promotes individual company research and development projects in the field of general technologies, provided that these can be assigned to industrial research or experimental development.
The support is intended to enable medium-sized enterprises to develop technologically new products and processes and to facilitate the application of modern technologies in products and production. The development as well as the accelerated introduction and dissemination of modern technologies in the economy and society are necessary in order to maintain the competitiveness of the economy in the face of rapid technological change and thus to ensure appropriate economic growth and a high level of employment. The support is intended to contribute to the further development of a modern economic structure in Bavaria.
Funding is available for the development of technologically new or significantly improved products, production processes and knowledge-based services (development projects), from the initial idea to a fully functional prototype. In exceptional and duly justified cases, technical feasibility studies in preparation for development projects are also eligible. A product or production process is considered new if it is not yet on the market in the European Economic Area. Existing industrial property rights must not be infringed.
Recipients of funding
Applications may be submitted by commercial enterprises which have their registered office or a place of business in Bavaria.
The following are eligible for funding
- Personnel costs (flat rates),
- costs for instruments and equipment,
- costs for contract research, technical knowledge and for patents acquired directly or under licence from third parties, as well as costs for consultancy and equivalent services used exclusively for the research and development project,
- other operating costs (materials, supplies, etc.) incurred directly as a result of the research and development activity.
Type and scope
The funding will be provided in the form of grants as part of project funding.
The aid intensity for experimental development projects is up to 25 percent of the eligible costs of the research and development (R&D) project, increased by 10 percent for small and medium-sized enterprises. For industrial research projects, the aid intensity is up to 50 percent.
- The implementation of the project must involve a significant technical and economic risk, but must nevertheless appear technically feasible on the basis of the envisaged solution.
- The project must be characterised by a high degree of innovation, i.e. the technologies, products and services to be developed must go beyond the state of the art in science and technology.
- The main parts of the project must be carried out by the applicant in Bavaria.
- Funding will not be provided for projects which have already been started before the project management organization has received a verifiable application or which are being carried out on behalf of third parties.
- The applicant company must have specific research and development capacities and relevant technical experience, including in the field of production.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they will use an appropriate amount of their own or external funds to finance the project, which will not be financed by other public aid or subsidised.
- In principle, cumulation with European Union funds or other state aid is not possible.
- Firms in difficulty are not eligible for aid. This applies in particular to applicants in respect of whose assets insolvency proceedings have been applied for or opened.
- Outlines and applications for grants are to be sent to the Project Management Agency Bavaria.
- Applications must be submitted in writing and electronically. The access data for this can be obtained from the project management organization. Further information is available on the Internet platform for electronic application (ELAN) of the Bavarian Ministry of Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy (see "Online procedure").
- The Project Management Agency Bavaria will review the outlines and applications in the name of and on behalf of the Free State of Bavaria, make a recommendation for the funding decision, if necessary with the involvement of expert consultants, and handle the processing of the funding, the processing of the payment requests, the review of the interim reports, the proof of use and the utilization reports as well as the handling of the correspondence with the applicants. The project executing agency is entitled to obtain explanations from the applicants on the applications and on the handling of the funding. The project management organization is obliged to maintain confidentiality.
- The granting authority is the Bavarian Ministry of Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy. The granting authority issues the notification of award and disburses the funds. The calls for funds and the proof of use must be submitted to the project management organization, which forwards them to the approval authority.
Early contact with the promoter is recommended.
The processing time is approximately 6 months from the first application to the funding decision. Once the first verifiable application has been submitted, the project can be started at the applicant's own risk. Funding is provided without legal entitlement within the framework of the available budget funds.
detailed project description including exploitation plan
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft, Landesentwicklung und Energie
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited