If you would like to work permanently in Bavaria in a specific socio-educational and social care profession, you can apply for recognition of your foreign qualification.
You can submit an application for an equivalence assessment in accordance with the Bavarian Professional Qualifications Assessment Act (BayBQFG) if you
- have successfully completed vocational training abroad and - in the area of regulated professions - are authorized to practice the profession in the country of training and
- intend to pursue gainful employment in Bavaria
An application can be submitted regardless of nationality and residence status.
Sufficient German language skills are also expected for practicing the profession.
You can apply for recognition of your foreign qualification in writing or electronically via the platform for secure communication at the Certificate Recognition Office of the Bavarian State Office for Schools.
The first step is to check whether your foreign qualification can be assigned to the reference occupation you have specified. If necessary, the State Office for Schools will inform you which other office is responsible for you. In this case, you can withdraw your application free of charge.
As part of the equivalence assessment of your foreign qualification, the State Office for Schools will check in particular whether you are authorized to practice the profession in the country of training and whether there are any significant differences between the foreign qualification and the corresponding Bavarian vocational training.
Proof of relevant professional experience (from abroad or from Germany) and other certificates of competence (e.g. additional qualifications or further education and training) will also be taken into account.
The following applies to state-regulated professions in the Free State of Bavaria (see description):
- If there are significant differences and at the same time comparable qualification contents, the significant differences can be compensated for as part of a compensation measure. You can choose between an adaptation period and an aptitude test.
- If no significant differences are found or if the compensation measure has been completed in full, the full equivalence of your foreign qualification can be determined.
The following applies to professions that are not state-regulated in the Free State of Bavaria (see description):
- If no significant differences are found, the full equivalence of your foreign qualification can be established.
- If there are significant differences and at the same time comparable qualification contents, the existing qualifications and the differences to the Bavarian qualification are described in the notification.
Late repatriates can alternatively submit an application for an equivalence assessment in accordance with the Federal Expellees Act (BVFG).
In contrast to the procedure under the Bavarian Professional Qualifications Assessment Act (BayBQFG), professional experience and/or further training cannot be taken into account in this free procedure.
Late repatriates can choose whether to submit an application in accordance with the BayBQFG or the Federal Expellees Act (BVFG).
If an application is submitted in accordance with the BVFG, it must be accompanied by appropriate proof (certificate of ethnic German repatriation / expellee ID).
The State Office for Schools will confirm receipt of your application within one month and, if necessary, inform you which documents need to be supplemented. If the documents are complete, a decision will be made within three months. In justified cases, this period may be extended appropriately.
The following documents must be submitted:
- Signed application form
- If applicable: Decision on professional recognition (by another competent body).
- For persons who are not citizens of the EU/EEA/Switzerland or whose place of residence is outside these states: Declaration of intention to work (e.g. proof of application for an entry visa for gainful employment, proof of contact with employer).
- Proof of identity (ID card or passport, photo page only - serial numbers and photo may be redacted).
- If applicable: Proof of name change (marriage certificate).
- if applicable: Spätaussiedlerbescheinigung or Vertriebenenbescheinigung (certificate of expellees)
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form with detailed information on school education, vocational training, further training and work experience
- School-leaving certificate from the last general school attended (before entering vocational school) - with translation*.
- Evidence of foreign professional qualification (diploma, certificate, diploma, etc.) - with translation*.
- Supplementary documents on professional qualification (e.g. scope and main contents of theoretical subjects taught / scope and main contents of practical training / overview of subjects taught and number of lessons at school (time table)) - with translation*
- if applicable: Diploma Supplement - with translation*
- if applicable: Evidence of relevant work experience in the learned profession (e.g. work certificates, work books, letters of reference)
- if applicable: other proof of qualifications (e.g. additional qualifications acquired, further education/training, retraining)
All the above-mentioned educational certificates (including proof of professional experience and certificates of competence) must be submitted in the original language as well as in translation into German by a publicly appointed or sworn translator.
In principle, the submission of the above documents in the form of photocopies or in electronic form (pdf files) is sufficient; in certain cases, the submission of officially certified photocopies or originals is additionally required. You will be notified separately about this if required.
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
The recognition procedure in accordance with the Bavarian Professional Qualifications Assessment Act (BayBQFG) is subject to a fee.
The Bavarian State Office for Schools charges a fee of between EUR 200.00 and EUR 600.00 plus expenses for carrying out the recognition procedure, depending on the work involved.
If significant differences need to be reconciled (see procedure), additional fees of between EUR 50.00 and EUR 100.00 plus expenses will be charged for issuing a final decision.
Costs for the adaptation period/aptitude test: The amount depends on what significant differences exist and can therefore vary greatly. The costs for this will be charged separately by the bodies carrying out the course.
Further costs, e.g. for translations and certifications, must be borne by you.
Unemployed and job-seeking applicants should check with their local employment agency or job center before submitting their application to see whether the costs can be covered by the employment agency.
The recognition procedure in accordance with the Federal Expellees Act (BVFG) (see special information) is free of charge.
You can appeal against the decision of the competent authority (administrative court action). This allows you to take legal action against the decision so that it can be reviewed. Details can be found in the information on legal remedies at the end of your decision. However, you are advised to clarify the disputed issues with the competent authority before lodging an appeal.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Landesamt für Schule