Industrial-technical and commercial professions; application for recognition of a foreign qualification
Certain industrial-technical and commercial professions are not regulated in Bavaria. Recognition of your qualification is not mandatory for taking up a job, but can be useful. You can apply for recognition at the Bavarian State Office for Schools.
The industrial-technical and commercial professions that are not regulated in Bavaria and for which the Bavarian State Office for Schools checks the equivalence of foreign professional qualifications can be found under "Further links".
In order to be able to work in Bavaria in one of these professions, recognition of your foreign qualification is not mandatory.
It is often possible to take up a job without formal recognition of your foreign qualification. In principle, the respective employer decides on the employment.
A recognition procedure can be useful in order to make your foreign qualification more transparent and better assessable for the employer.
In accordance with the Bavarian Vocational Qualifications Assessment Act (BayBQFG), you can apply for an assessment of equivalence if you have successfully completed vocational training abroad.
You can apply for a determination of equivalence in accordance with the Bavarian Vocational Qualifications Determination Act (BayBQFG), provided that you have
- have successfully completed vocational training abroad and
- intend to work in Bavaria.
An application can be made irrespective of nationality and residence status.
Sufficient German language skills are also expected for the occupation.
You can submit the application for recognition of your foreign qualification in writing or electronically via the secure communication platform to the Certificate Recognition Office of the Bavarian State Office for Schools.
First of all, it will be checked whether your foreign qualification can be assigned to the reference occupation you have stated. If necessary, the Bavarian State Office for Schools will inform you which other office is responsible for you. In this case, you can withdraw the application free of charge.
Within the framework of the equivalence examination of your foreign qualification, the State Office for Schools checks in particular whether your foreign qualification qualifies you for comparable occupational activities as evidenced by the corresponding Bavarian training certificate and whether there are any significant differences between the foreign qualification and the corresponding Bavarian vocational training.
Proof of relevant professional experience (from abroad or from Germany) as well as other proof of qualification (e.g. additional qualifications or further and advanced training) will also be taken into account.
If no significant differences are found, the full equivalence of your foreign qualification can be determined.
If there are significant differences and at the same time comparable qualification contents, the existing qualifications as well as the differences to the Bavarian qualification will be described in the decision.
Late repatriates can alternatively apply for an equivalence determination in accordance with the Federal Expellees Act (BVFG).
Within the framework of this free procedure - in contrast to the procedure in accordance with the Bavarian Vocational Qualification Determination Act (BayBQFG) - professional experience and/or further education/training cannot be taken into account.
Late repatriates can choose whether to submit an application in accordance with the BayBQFG or the Federal Expellees Act (BVFG).
If an application is made in accordance with the BVFG, it must be accompanied by appropriate proof (Spätaussiedlerbescheinigung / Vertriebenenausweis).
The State Office for Schools will confirm receipt of your application within one month and, if necessary, inform you which documents need to be supplemented. If the documents are complete, the decision will be made within three months. In justified cases, this period may be reasonably extended.
You must submit the following documents:
- Signed application form
- if applicable: decision on professional recognition (by another competent body)
- For persons who are not nationals of the EU/EEA/Switzerland or whose place of residence is outside these states: Declaration of intention to work (e.g. proof of application for an entry visa for gainful employment, proof of contact with employer).
- Proof of identity (identity card or passport)
- if applicable: Proof of change of name (marriage certificate)
- If applicable: Spätaussiedler certificate or certificate of displaced persons
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form with detailed information on school education, vocational training, further training and professional experience
- School-leaving certificate from the last general school attended (before entering vocational school) - with translation*.
- Proof of foreign vocational qualification (diploma, examination certificate, diploma, etc.) - with translation*.
- Supplementary documents on the vocational qualification (e.g. scope and main contents of the theoretical subjects taught / scope and main contents of the practical training / overview of subjects taught and number of teaching hours at the school (timetable)) - with translation*
- if applicable: Diploma Supplement - with translation*
- if applicable: Evidence of relevant professional experience in the learned profession (e.g. employer's references, workbooks, letters of reference)
- where applicable: other evidence of qualifications (e.g. additional qualifications, further training, retraining).
All the above educational certificates (including evidence of professional experience and certificates of competence) must be submitted in the original language and in translation into German by a publicly appointed or sworn translator.
In principle, the submission of the above documents in the form of photocopies or in electronic form (pdf files) is sufficient; in certain cases, the submission of officially certified photocopies or originals is also required. You will be notified of this separately if necessary.
The recognition procedure in accordance with the Bavarian Vocational Qualifications Assessment Act (BayBQFG) is subject to a fee.
The Bavarian State Office for Schools charges a fee of between EUR 200.00 and EUR 600.00 plus expenses for carrying out the recognition procedure, depending on the effort involved.
Further costs, e.g. for translations and certifications, must be borne by you.
Unemployed and job-seeking applicants should check with their relevant employment agencies or job centres before submitting an application to see whether the costs can be covered by the employment service.
The recognition procedure in accordance with the Federal Expellees Act (BVFG) (see special information) is free of charge.
An appeal (administrative court action) is permitted against the decision of the competent body. This allows you to take legal action against the decision so that it is reviewed. Details of how to do this can be found in the appeal instructions at the end of your decision. However, you are advised to clarify the disputed issues with the competent body before lodging an appeal.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Landesamt für Schule
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited