The Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) promotes measures to increase energy efficiency in companies.
The promotion is open to all technologies; in particular:
- Process and process conversions to efficient technologies and energy optimization of production processes,
- Waste heat recovery,
- measures on systems for heat supply, cooling and ventilation if these are used directly for production processes,
- energy-efficient provision of process heating or cooling,
- avoidance of energy losses in the production process.
No subsidies are available
- for measures required by law,
- if you have already started with the measure before submitting the application.
If you want to optimize plants and processes in terms of energy, you can get a loan of up to EUR 25 million.
The amount of the subsidy for the repayment of the loan depends on the size of your company and the energy saved:
- Small and medium-sized enterprises (up to 249 employees and annual sales not exceeding EUR 50 million or total assets not exceeding EUR 43 million):
- Up to 40 percent of eligible costs,
- maximum EUR 700 for each ton of carbon dioxide saved annually.
- Large companies (250 or more employees and annual sales greater than EUR 50 million or total assets greater than EUR 43 million):
- Up to 30 percent of eligible costs,
- maximum EUR 500 for each ton of carbon dioxide saved annually.
Eligible costs are:
- All costs for implementing the measure,
- Incidental costs for planning and installation,
- costs for the preparation of an energy savings concept and monitoring of implementation by an external energy consultant.
You can receive a maximum of EUR 10 million in repayment subsidies.
You will only receive the repayment subsidy once you have completed your measure. To do this, you must prove
- that you have spent the money from the loan on the measure,
- that the measure technically fulfills its purpose.
You must keep all invoices and receipts related to the eligible costs.
The applications for the subsidy are processed by the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW).
You are not entitled to the subsidy.
Note on other subsidy options of the program:
You can also apply for a direct subsidy from the Federal Office of Economics and Export Control (BAFA) via the subsidy program "Bundesförderung für Energieeffizienz in der Wirtschaft" (Federal subsidy for energy efficiency in the economy) (apply for a subsidy for energy optimization of plants and processes).