Regional management and regional initiatives; application for funding
The Free State of Bavaria promotes the implementation of projects in future topics of state development through regional management, regional marketing and conversion management (regional initiatives).
The Free State of Bavaria supports the implementation of regional management and regional marketing projects as well as regional initiatives for military and conversion sites on the basis of the Directive on the Promotion of Regional Initiatives in the Free State of Bavaria for Future Projects of Regional Development (Förderrichtlinie Landesentwicklung - FöRLa) of 05 November 2020 (BayMBl. No. 670), amended by the announcement of 05 August 2021 (BayMBl. No. 588). The project funding is thus intended to contribute to the creation and maintenance of equal living and working conditions in Bavaria. In addition, regional networks are to be expanded and flexible, tailor-made solutions to local challenges are to be developed.
Funding is provided for innovative, regional projects in five central future topics of state development:
- Demographic change
- Settlement development
- Regional identity
- Climate change
Recipients of funding
Eligible to apply for and receive funding are the public or private-law bodies with legal capacity which have set up regional initiatives in the Free State of Bavaria in agreement with the Bavarian State Ministry of Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy. If the establishment of a regional initiative is to be prepared by means of funding, the regional authority or one of the regional authorities concerned is entitled to submit an application and receive funding.
Funding can be provided for expenditure on personnel, travel and accommodation, hospitality at high-profile events, public relations work and services provided by third parties.
Type and amount
The funding is provided in the form of project funding by way of partial financing.
The standard funding for regional management and regional marketing generally amounts to a maximum of EUR 100,000 per project year and regional initiative. The amount of funding is increased by up to 50,000 euros per project year if the majority of the regional initiative is located in an area with special needs for action (RmbH), if its scope completely covers an area of more than two administrative districts or, in the case of spatial congruence, if there is long-term cooperation with a regional planning association.
The Regional Initiative European Metropolitan Region Munich and the Regional Initiative European Metropolitan Region Nuremberg may each apply for funding of up to EUR 150,000 per project year in addition to the standard funding.
The standard funding for Regional Initiatives for Military and Conversion Sites generally amounts to a maximum of 150,000 euros per project year.
Special funding for projects on the subject of land saving with a maximum funding amount of 50,000 euros per project year and in the case of serious economic upheaval (special funding for transformation processes) with a maximum funding amount of 150,000 euros per project year is possible.
Funding can initially be claimed for a maximum of three years (basic phase). After a successful evaluation, follow-up funding for a maximum of three additional years is possible.
Regions in which no Regional Initiative has currently been set up can receive one-off funding of up to 50,000 euros (increased by up to 25,000 euros in the case of comprehensive citizen participation) per project year for up to two years for so-called strategy funding. This enables the region to draw up a cross-sectional regional development strategy with the involvement of the relevant players, which can then be transferred to a regional management.
The funding rate is generally between 50 % and 90 %, depending on the spatial scope of the project.
Essential requirements for funding
- The projects must comply with the specifications of the Bavarian State Development Programme and the relevant regional plans.
- Conformity of the projects with existing regional development strategies
- Coordination of projects with existing development initiatives
- Contribution of the projects to cross-sectional regional development
- Development and implementation of the projects by the regional initiative
- Eligible minimum expenditure of more than 10,000 euros per project and more than 25,000 euros per application
- Securing of overall funding
- Presentation of an evaluation concept for each grant period
- A consultation meeting must be held with representatives of the relevant specialist department of the State Ministry for Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy and the relevant representatives for regional management and regional initiatives at the respective district government before the application is submitted.
- Application using the sample forms
- In the case of regional initiatives for military and conversion sites: requirement that the local military presence is associated with considerable socio-economic and infrastructural challenges for the region and that the funding projects to be implemented are directly related to these effects.
The preliminary coordination of project ideas takes place together with the representatives for regional management and regional initiatives at the district governments and the State Ministry for Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy within the framework of a consultation meeting. If the project is basically eligible for funding, the Regional Initiative will prepare a draft application.
The coordinated application must be submitted in duplicate by post and digitally to the Bavarian State Ministry of Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy and digitally to the responsible district government.
The respective district government is responsible for the approval. The approval period for project implementation is a maximum of three years.
The local government is responsible for the technical support of the project implementation. A steering group meeting is to be convened once a year to document the progress of the project. In addition, status reports on the progress of the project are to be submitted. The government is also responsible for checking the proof of use.
Funding is not possible if other funds of the Free State of Bavaria are used for the measure. Grants may only be awarded for projects that have not yet been started.
Funding is provided without legal entitlement within the framework of the available budget funds.
Applications for funding can be submitted within the period of validity of the Land Development Funding Guidelines (01.01.2021 - 31.12.2023) without any special deadlines.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft, Landesentwicklung und Energie
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited