The Free State of Bavaria grants subsidies to districts and municipalities for the construction or expansion of municipal roads, insofar as they are urgently needed to improve traffic conditions.
The following projects can be funded from the Bavarian Municipal Transport Financing Act (BayGVFG):
Construction or expansion of:
- important roads
- local roads with the exception of service and access roads
- feeder roads to the supra-local traffic network,
- inter-urban roads,
- independent footpaths and cycle paths,
- public field and forest paths that are important for bicycle traffic,
- special lanes for buses,
- roads in connection with the decommissioning of railroad lines,
- intelligent roadside traffic systems to increase the safety and ease of traffic,
- public transfer facilities on roads to reduce motorized private transport,
- public traffic areas for freight transport centers designated in development plans, including the associated municipal development facilities located in these traffic areas in accordance with Sections 127 and 128 of the German Building Code (Baugesetzbuch)
in the responsibility of municipalities or administrative districts as well as
- dependent footpaths on federal, state and district roads,
- dependent cycle paths on state and district roads
in local thoroughfares for which the municipalities are not responsible for construction;
irrespective of the responsibility for construction, projects in accordance with letters e and f can also be funded if they are carried out by independent municipal companies under public law or municipal companies in private legal form.
Construction is to be equated with new construction. Expansion means a structural change to the location, cross-section or load-bearing capacity of existing traffic routes that is urgently required to improve traffic conditions. This also includes the construction of traffic light systems at junctions and an increase in the load-bearing capacity ("substance increase") of engineering structures.
If construction projects are development projects in accordance with §§ 127 ff. of the German Building Code (BauGB), only costs that are not attributable to development costs can be funded.
Recipients of grants
Grants can be awarded to administrative districts, municipalities and municipal associations, provided that they are responsible for the construction of the eligible roads.
Please refer to No. 6 of the Guidelines for Grants of the Free State of Bavaria for Road and Bridge Construction Projects of Local Authorities (RZStra).
Type and amount
Proportional or fixed-amount funding is granted in relation to the eligible costs. The amount of funding is calculated in accordance with No. 7 RZStra.