The Free State of Bavaria grants subsidies to counties and municipalities for the construction or expansion of municipal roads insofar as they are urgently needed to improve traffic conditions.
The following projects can be subsidized with funds from the Bavarian Municipal Transportation Financing Act (BayGVFG):
Construction or expansion of:
- roads with high traffic importance
- inner-city roads with the exception of service roads and access roads,
- feeder roads to the supra-local traffic network,
- interurban roads,
- independent footpaths and cycle paths,
- public field and forest paths with significance for bicycle traffic,
- special lanes for buses,
- roads associated with the decommissioning of railroad lines,
- intelligent roadside traffic systems to increase the safety and ease of traffic,
- public interchanges on roads to reduce motorized individual traffic,
- public traffic areas for freight traffic centers designated in development plans, including the associated municipal development facilities located in these traffic areas in accordance with Sections 127 and 128 of the Building Code
in the charge of municipalities or counties as well as of
- dependent footpaths on federal, state and district roads,
- dependent cycle paths on state and district roads
in the charge of municipalities in through roads whose carriageways are not in the charge of municipalities;
irrespective of the charge of the municipality, projects in accordance with letters e and f can also be funded if they are carried out by independent municipal companies under public law or municipal companies in private legal form.
Construction is to be equated with new construction. Expansion means a structural change to existing traffic routes in terms of location, cross-section or load-bearing capacity that is urgently required to improve traffic conditions. This also includes, among other things, the construction of traffic signals at intersections and an increase in the load-bearing capacity ("substance increase") of engineering structures.
Insofar as construction projects are development facilities in accordance with §§ 127 ff. of the German Building Code (BauGB), only the costs that are not attributable to development expenditure can be subsidized.
Grants may be awarded to districts, municipalities and municipal associations if they are responsible for the construction of the roads eligible for funding.
Reference is made to No. 6 of the Guidelines for Grants from the Free State of Bavaria for Road and Bridge Construction Projects of Municipal Construction Companies (RZStra).
Type and amount
Funding is granted on a pro-rata or fixed-amount basis in relation to the eligible costs. The amount of funding is determined in accordance with No. 7 of the RZStra.