Contractual forest conservation program; application for a grant
Voluntary services rendered by private and corporate forest owners (including legal entities) as well as by those responsible for inter-company measures for the protection of nature and species in the forest are rewarded.
The Forest Contractual Conservation Program (VNP Wald) rewards voluntary services provided by private and corporate forest owners (including legal entities) as well as by organizations responsible for measures carried out by other companies for the protection of nature and species in the forest. The VNP Forest is thus an important building block for the implementation of the European network of protected areas Natura 2000 and the Bavarian Biodiversity Program 2030.
The contractual nature conservation program in the forest safeguards ecologically particularly valuable habitats and populations of endangered species in the forest. Forest owners undertake to manage areas in accordance with nature conservation objectives for five or twelve years.
In particular, middle and coppice forests, beaver habitats, sparse forests, and valuable structures such as biotope trees, old-growth islands, and deadwood (if necessary, also after natural disturbance events such as windthrow) are promoted.
The funding compensates for the loss of income or additional costs.
Funding is possible if the measure meets the nature conservation objective and the area is located in the following areas:
- Area of the European Network Natura 2000
- Area of the Bavarian biotope network (BayernNetzNatur)
- Protected area defined by nature conservation law (e.g. nature reserve, landscape conservation area, nature park)
- legally protected biotope according to § 30 of the Federal Nature Conservation Act or Art. 23 of the Bavarian Nature Conservation Act
- Area on which a species support project is carried out
- Habitat of the Fauna-Flora-Habitat Directive (FFH Directive) outside a Natura 2000 site
- Beaver habitat
- Stock riparian forest
Before submitting an application, forest owners can clarify in a consultation with the lower nature conservation authority whether their forest areas are basically suitable and which measures are possible and sensible.
Applications can be submitted to the local Office for Food, Agriculture and Forestry during a period determined annually (usually from November to May).
The application must be submitted before the start of the measure.
Applications must generally be submitted in November of the previous year by May 31 of the current year.
Action sheet, if applicable
if applicable, work plan
lease agreements, if applicable
if applicable, declaration of consent of the owner or lessee
if necessary, further documents
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Umwelt und Verbraucherschutz
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited