Winemaker; information on vocational training
The field of activity of the winemaker extends to the environmentally friendly and quality-oriented viticulture, the vinification and the wine marketing. In all this work, the routine handling and use of machinery and equipment is a matter of course.
The labor market offers qualified specialists good opportunities for advancement. As a rule, training lasts three years. Under certain conditions, the duration of training can be shortened to 24 months.
Training centers / inter-company training
In Bavaria, the first year of training takes the form of a full-time basic vocational school year. No training contract has to be concluded for the basic vocational school year; the contract between the training company and the trainee is only concluded for the second and third years of training. During the in-company training, the vocational school must be attended one day per week. One weekly course each on "Towing Technology", "Welding" and "Cellar Management" as well as eight individual training days are part of the inter-company training.
Addresses of recognized training companies can be obtained from the training advisor at the LWG.
Company organization / technology
- Planning of production, preparation, execution and control of all work in the winery, including cost recording.
- Routine handling of machinery and equipment for the necessary work in the vineyard and cellar
Quality-oriented and environmentally friendly planting, care and use of vines Working and caring for the soil with the aim of sustainably promoting soil fertility, planting vines and environmentally friendly care of vines
- Quality-oriented and environmentally friendly preparation of wine
- Evaluation of the grapes and carrying out the grape harvest, mash, must and wine treatment, fermentation management for red and white wine, preparing wine for bottling and sterile bottling
- Sensory monitoring of must and wine
Marketing of wine
- Sensory evaluation of wine, presenting wine in a sales-promoting manner, preparing wine tastings, assisting with customer advice, accepting and completing customer orders
In order to determine the level of knowledge, an intermediate examination in written and practical form takes place during the in-company training period. Vocational training ends with the final examination to become a winemaker. In the final examination, the skills and knowledge acquired in the areas of "viticulture", "cellar management" and "marketing" are tested practically, in writing and orally.
Some will later work as independent winemakers by taking over their parents' business. Winemakers also find other fields of work as employees in wineries, cooperatives and in the wine trade.
Further training opportunities
- Technical college for viticulture and cellar management (Veitshöchheim)
- Master winemaker
- Technician for viticulture and cellar management (Veitshöchheim)
- Bachelor or master studies e.g.: Viticulture and Oenology; Viticulture and Beverage Technology
Secondary school leaving certificate or secondary school leaving certificate and attendance of the basic vocational school year in agriculture or high school diploma or completed vocational training.
Training usually begins on September 1 of each year.
last school report
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerische Landesanstalt für Weinbau und Gartenbau
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited