A permit under animal protection law must be applied for at the district administrative authority (Landratsamt) responsible for the applicant.
A permit under animal protection law in accordance with § 11 of the Animal Protection Act is required in particular in the following cases:
- Breeding and keeping of vertebrates for experimental purposes and comparable activities,
- Keeping animals in an animal shelter or similar facilities,
- Zoos or other facilities for the exhibition of animals,
- bringing or importing vertebrate animals (other than livestock) into the country for the purpose of giving them away for a fee or other consideration, or brokering such animals
- Protection dog training for third parties (including maintenance of facilities for this purpose),
- Commercial training of dogs for third parties or commercial instruction of the training of dogs by the owner of the animal
- holding of animal fairs,
- commercial breeding and keeping of animals (exception: agricultural animals),
- commercial animal trade,
- commercial operation of a riding and driving business,
- commercial exhibition of animals,
- commercial pest control of vertebrates.
The granting of the animal protection permit is a prerequisite for the operation of an establishment requiring a permit or the commencement of an activity requiring a permit. It therefore has a preventive character for the protection of the animals concerned.
Depending on the case, further permits may be required, such as approval as an animal transporter or as a livestock dealer, building permit(s), approval of animal experiments (issued by the governments of Upper Bavaria and Lower Franconia), permits under species protection law; it is therefore advisable to enquire with the competent district administrative authority.