Private elementary and secondary schools; application for operating permit and substantial change permit.
Private primary and secondary schools which correspond in their educational objectives to public schools existing or planned in the Free State of Bavaria must be approved by the competent government. The latter must also approve substantial changes.
Substitute schools may only be established and operated with state approval. The application, together with all the necessary documents, must be submitted to the relevant government as the school supervisory authority no later than four months before the start of the school year.
Approval is to be granted if
- the person who intends to establish, operate or manage an alternative school offers a guarantee that he or she will not violate the constitutional order,
- the alternative school does not lag behind the public schools in its teaching aims and facilities and in the academic or artistic training of its teaching staff,
- a segregation of pupils according to the property situation of their parents is not promoted,
- the economic and legal position of the teaching staff is sufficiently secure.
A primary school is to be approved as an alternative school only if the competent government as school supervisory authority recognises a special educational interest or, at the request of parents or guardians, if it is to be established as a community school or as a confessional or ideological school and a public primary school of this kind does not exist in the municipality concerned.
State-approved secondary modern schools which meet the requirements of Art. 7 a BayEUG may be granted approval as secondary modern schools.
After the school supervisory approval has been granted, changes may occur in the course of the school's operation that also require explicit approval by the government. In particular, the following changes are considered to require approval:
- General changes: Name changes, determination of general eligibility after the end of the grace period, change of school management.
- Changes in the school organisation: change of sponsor, establishment of open and bound all-day offers, relocation, extension of the number of classes, outsourcing of classes in case of reconstruction, establishment of further class levels.
- Changes in internal operations: concept changes, deviations from holiday regulations
The application, together with all the necessary documents, must be submitted to the school supervisory authority no later than four months before the start of the school year, i.e. by 31 March each year.
Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Unterricht und Kultus
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited