Purpose and object
For full-time education at schools, educational assistance is provided in accordance with the provisions of the Federal Education Assistance Act (BAföG) and the Bavarian Education Assistance Act (BayAföG). In Bavaria, state legislation (BayAföG) entitles students to support for grades 5 to 9 of Realschulen and Gymnasien and grades 7 to 9 of Wirtschaftsschulen under certain conditions.
Education assistance is only granted if the student, his/her spouse and parents are not able to raise the necessary costs for education and living expenses on the basis of their own income and assets. In certain cases (e.g. when attending evening classes, colleges and vocational high schools or if the student has been working for many years), support is granted without taking parental income into account.
In principle, participants in full-time training courses are eligible to apply. Further criteria can be found under "Prerequisites
Type and amount
The maximum amount of the educational grant depends on the type of educational institution attended and the accommodation with the parents or any necessary accommodation away from home. In the case of training at a specialized academy, half of the funding is usually provided as a grant and half as a non-interest-bearing state loan; in the case of other school-based training, the funding is provided as a grant.
The maximum monthly subsidy rate for attendance of
- Vocational colleges and technical colleges whose attendance does not require completed vocational training: 262 euros,
- 474 euros for evening secondary schools, postgraduate vocational schools, evening secondary schools and specialized secondary school classes, attendance at which requires completed vocational training,
- 474 euros for classes at technical colleges whose attendance requires completed vocational training, evening high schools, vocational high schools and colleges.
If trainees do not live with their parents or, if necessary, are accommodated away from home, the maximum monthly subsidy for attendance of
- secondary general schools and vocational colleges as well as technical and vocational colleges whose attendance requires completed vocational training: 632 euros,
- evening secondary schools, post-secondary vocational schools, evening secondary schools and classes of specialized secondary schools, attendance of which requires completed vocational training 736 euros
- 736 euros for classes at technical colleges whose attendance requires completed vocational training, evening secondary schools, vocational secondary schools and colleges.
If trainees themselves have health and nursing care insurance that requires contributions, the requirement is increased by 122 euros per month.
When attending evening schools and colleges as well as higher technical schools and academies, the offices for educational grants at the independent city or the district administrative authority in which the educational institution is located are responsible. When attending other educational institutions (especially schools), the Office for Educational Support in whose district the parents have their permanent residence is responsible. The contact details of the responsible office are displayed when you select the town in which the training center is located or the parents have their permanent residence under "My town" in the BayernPortal.