The funds of Art. 13c Para. 2 of the Bavarian Fiscal Equalization Act (BayFAG) are to be used in accordance with Art. 21 Para. 2 of the Bavarian Local Public Transport Act (BayÖPNVG) to secure complementary financing for construction or expansion projects on transport facilities of the general public transport system (e.(e.g., subways, streetcars and buses) and commuter trains (Art. 29 Par. 3 BayÖPNVG) that are funded under the Bavarian Municipal Transportation Financing Act (BayGVFG) or the Federal Municipal Transportation Financing Act (GVFG).
Pursuant to Art. 13c Para. 2 BayFAG, the following projects of construction or expansion can be funded, provided that they serve public transport:
- Construction and expansion of traffic routes of tramways, elevated and subway railroads as well as railroads of special design, provided that they are predominantly, i.e. more than 50 %, run either on special railroad bodies or on line sections which ensure priority for the railroads by means of suitable construction forms or traffic guidance systems,
- Construction or expansion of urban railroad transportation facilities,
- construction or expansion of central bus stations and bus stop facilities as well as depots and central workshops,
- acceleration measures in public transport, in particular computer-controlled operations control systems and technical measures to control traffic signals (i.e., bus priority circuits and bus lanes),
- public transfer parking spaces for motor vehicles and bicycles at public transport stops, insofar as they are intended and suitable to serve the transition between private transport and public transport.
BayFAG funds are granted as complementary funding of construction or expansion measures of general public transport and suburban railroads funded under GVFG or BayGVFG. Funding from the GVFG federal program is only possible, among other things, if the eligible costs exceed EUR 30 million (for measures included in the GVFG federal program by the end of 2020: EUR 50 million).
The basic principles for funding local public transport infrastructure facilities under the GVFG federal program/BayGVFG and BayFAG are governed by the Guidelines for the Granting of Grants by the Free State of Bavaria for Local Public Transport (RZÖPNV).
The following can receive grants
- counties, municipalities and municipal special-purpose associations in Bavaria as well as
- public or private transport companies or project sponsors, provided they carry out projects in Bavaria.
In principle, the costs of construction or expansion measures for local public transport are considered eligible for funding under Article 13c (2) BayFAG to the extent that they are eligible for funding under the GVFG or BayGVFG and their implementing regulations.
Reference is made to No. 6.2 and 6.3 RZÖPNV.
Type and amount
Grants pursuant to Art. 13c (2) BayFAG are awarded as project funding by way of pro-rata financing with a maximum amount based on the eligible costs, unless fixed-amount financing appears appropriate in individual cases, in particular when applying cost benchmarks.
The amount of funding in the individual case is determined in accordance with No. 6.4 RZÖPNV.