Residence permit; General information
Non-EU nationals can be granted and extended a residence permit for various residence purposes (e.g. employment, study, au pair, family reunification).
The requirements for the issuance of a residence permit differ depending on the purpose of the stay.
In general, the issuance of a residence permit usually requires that
- the livelihood is secured
- the identity and, if not entitled to return to another state, the nationality of the foreigner is clarified,
- there is no reason for expulsion,
- insofar as there is no entitlement to the granting of a residence title, the foreigner's residence does not impair or endanger the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany for any other reason, and
- the passport obligation according to § 3 AufenthG is fulfilled;
and that the foreigner
- has entered the country with the required visa and
- has already provided the information relevant for the issuance in the visa application.
The same regulations apply to the extension of the residence permit as to its issuance. Before the residence permit is extended, it must be determined whether the foreigner has fulfilled any obligation to properly participate in the integration course.
Foreigners subject to the visa requirement must apply for the residence title required for further residence while the visa is still valid.
Foreigners exempted from the visa requirement for the specific purpose of stay must apply for the residence permit required for further stay immediately after entry or within 90 days at the latest.
If necessary, you may be required to produce additional documents
The documents to be presented may vary greatly. Please find out more details from your competent Aliens Department (Ausländerbehörde). As a general rule, the documents listed above will be required (among others).
Current biometric photo (front shot)
Supporting documents evidencing guaranteed means of subsistence
Supporting documents evidencing adequate living quarters
Supporting documents evidencing medical insurance coverage
Supporting documents evidencing the purpose of stay, e. g. employer's certificate or employment contract
if necessary, further documents
- Period of validity up to one year: 100 Euro
- Period of validity of more than one year: 100 Euro
- up to three months: 96 Euro
- from more than three months: 93 Euro
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited