Architect and urban planner; application for registration in the register of external service providers

Non-resident architects and urban planners may apply for registration in the register of non-resident service providers.


The professional titles "architect", "interior architect", "landscape architect" and "urban planner" may only be used in Bavaria by those who are registered under this title in the list of architects or urban planners at the Bavarian Chamber of Architects.

Foreign architects, interior architects, landscape architects and town planners, i.e. those who have neither a domicile nor a branch or predominant professional occupation in Bavaria, may in principle only use the professional titles if they

  • either they are allowed to use the title on the basis of a regulation of a state of the Federal Republic of Germany in which they have their domicile, their branch or predominant occupation, or
  • if they fulfil the material requirements for entry in the corresponding lists.

Foreign architects and town planners who are not members of a German Chamber of Architects or who are not entered in a German list of town planners must give prior notice of the first provision of services. They shall be listed in a separate register.

A certificate shall be issued for a period of five years for inclusion in the list of external service providers, which shall also entitle the holder to use the professional title. The certificate may be extended on application for a maximum of five years.

The registration committee at the Bavarian Chamber of Architects examines and decides on the registration in the lists and directories.

The right pursuant to Art. 7 Para. 3 of Directive 2005/36/EC to use the professional title of the state of establishment shall remain unaffected. The professional title shall be used in such a way that no confusion with professional titles according to Art. 1 Law on the Bavarian Chamber of Architects and the Bavarian Chamber of Civil Engineers is possible.


Appropriate evidence from the country of origin (for EU citizens in accordance with the Professional Qualifications Recognition Directive) of a university degree and subsequent period of practical experience.


  • for the applicant: none; prior to commencement of the activity, notification of the first performance of the service
  • for the authority: three months after receipt of application and complete submission of documents
  • or two months after receipt of the application and complete submission of the documents if the accelerated procedure for skilled workers is being carried out.

Required documents

  • degree certificate
  • Evidence of the subsequent period of practice
  • Advance on fees (proof)


  • Form, Bavaria-wide: Antrag auf Eintragung in die Liste der auswärtigen Dienstleister
    Please note

    This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.


  • Entry in the register of external service providers: 200 euros


Administrative court proceedings; information

administrative claim

Links to more information

Status: 20.08.2021

Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wohnen, Bau und Verkehr

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.