Shooting range; application for an operating licence
A permit is required to operate a shooting range.
If you wish to operate a fixed or movable facility that is used for shooting sports or other shooting exercises with firearms, the testing of firearms or shooting with firearms for amusement (shooting range), or if you wish to significantly change its nature or the way it is used, you require a permit from the district administrative authority.
No permit is required for shooting ranges where shooting is carried out in closed rooms exclusively for the purpose of testing firearms or ammunition by firearms or ammunition manufacturers, by firearms or ammunition experts or by scientific institutions. The operator shall notify the competent authority in writing two weeks in advance of the commencement and termination of the operation of the shooting range.
In the case of mobile shooting ranges, a single permit prior to the first installation is sufficient. The holder of such a permit shall notify the locally competent district administrative authority in writing two weeks in advance of the commencement and termination of the operation of the shooting range.
The permit may only be issued if the applicant
- has the required reliability (§ 5 WaffG) and
- personal suitability (§ 6 WaffG) and
- provides evidence of insurance against liability for damages resulting from the operation of the shooting range in the amount of at least 1 million euros - lump sum for personal injury and property damage - as well as against accident for damages resulting from the operation of the shooting range for persons involved in the organization of the shooting range in the amount of at least 10,000 euros for the case of death and 100,000 euros for the case of disability with an insurance company authorized to do business in the area of application of this law. Pursuant to § 1 para. 2 no. 2 of the Schaustellerhaftpflichtverordnung (Showmen's Liability Ordinance), shooting operations are subject to compulsory liability insurance.
In the case of mobile or permit-exempt shooting ranges, written notification must be received by the county administrative authority two weeks prior to commencement of operation.
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited