Further and advanced training; applying for promotion funding
Participants in advanced vocational training measures (e.g. to become a master craftsman, technician, business administrator or educator) can receive financial support regardless of their age.
The group of persons entitled to claim is defined in § 8 AFBG.
- The desired professional qualification must be above the level of a skilled worker, journeyman or assistant examination or a vocational school qualification. A completed initial training is therefore often a prerequisite for admission to the advanced training examination. Funding is not necessarily only available for the first advanced training course, but for all advanced training courses. Anyone who has already completed self-financed advanced training does not lose their entitlement to funding as a result.
- If a further training objective has already been funded under the AFBG, the preparation for a further further training objective is funded within the meaning of the AFBG if the further training objective pursued builds on the further training objective already achieved. This is particularly the case if a further training objective at the next further training level within the meaning of Section 53a of the Vocational Training Act or Section 42a of the Crafts Code is being pursued. Funding can be granted once at all three levels in succession if the further training objective being pursued builds on the training objective already achieved. This is particularly the case if a further training objective is aimed for at the next further training level (i.e. sequence DQR 5 - DQR 6 - DQR 7, but not first DQR 7 and then DQR 6).
Only courses offered by certified providers with a corresponding quality assurance system are eligible for funding.
The application must be submitted in writing or electronically (see online procedure) to the responsible Office for Educational Support. If the applicant has not yet submitted all the necessary documents for the decision on the application, the Office for Educational Support will contact the applicant and ask for the missing documents to be submitted. Other authorities are generally not involved.
The contribution to the measure must be applied for by the end of the measure or section of the measure at the latest. The maintenance contribution is paid from the beginning of the month in which the lessons actually start, but at the earliest from the beginning of the month of application.
The processing time or the entire processing time between the application being submitted and the approval notice being issued can be expected to take around 6 to 8 weeks.
Number and type of documents required depends on personal circumstances and type of training
For example, the following documents may be required:
- Information on income and assets
- Declaration of the spouse/registered partner
- Additional sheet for foreigners
- Certificate of attendance of a further education institution / participation in a distance learning course / media-supported course
- Proof of regular course attendance from an educational institution
- Form to prove the actual material costs incurred for the master craftsman's examination project / practical work
- Confirmation of the admission requirements
Aufstiegs-BAföG - Antragsformulare
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
This service supports you by helping you to enter your application data and checks it for completeness and plausibility. If you have an ID card with activated electronic proof of identity, you can send the forms and the documents to be enclosed electronically to the competent authority.
AFBG Digital gives you the option of creating, editing and sending your AFBG application electronically in a straightforward manner via the internet browser on your PC or tablet. You must log in with your BundID.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wissenschaft und Kunst
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited