Continuing education and training; application for a promotion grant
Participants in vocational upgrading measures - for example to become a master craftsman, technician, business administrator or educator - can receive financial support irrespective of their age. They receive a contribution to the costs of further training irrespective of income and, in the case of full-time measures, an additional contribution to living costs based on income. The funding is provided partly as a grant and partly as a low-interest loan from the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau.
The Upgrading Training Assistance Act (AFBG) is the counterpart to the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG) for advancement in vocational training. It takes account of the fact that those receiving support who are pre-qualified for vocational training are generally already "in the middle of life", in particular by means of supplements depending on the family situation, a higher asset exemption and support without an age limit. In addition, it provides financial support for the costs of the measures (course and examination fees) and equally supports upgrading training courses on a full-time and part-time basis.
Funding is provided for full- and part-time advanced training courses run by public and private institutions (cf. § 2) which prepare participants in a targeted manner for examinations under public law in accordance with the Vocational Training Act, the Crafts Code or for equivalent qualifications under federal or Land law. Participation in full-time measures is generally funded up to a duration of 24 calendar months, and in part-time measures up to a duration of 48 calendar months (maximum funding period).
Under the AFBG, assistance is provided for participation in further training measures run by public or private bodies which are specifically aimed in a specialist direction at further training qualifications under public law on the basis of "Sections 53 to 53d and 54 of the Vocational Training Act or "Sections 42 to 42d, 42f, 45, 51a of the Crafts Code, e.g. Geprüfte/r Berufsspezialist/in, Bachelor Professional, Master Professional. Bankfachwirt(in), Industrie- oder Handwerksmeister(in), Techniker(in), or for an equivalent qualification according to federal or state regulations, for further training according to the further training guidelines of the German Hospital Association or for further training on the basis of state-approved examination regulations at recognised supplementary schools.
In addition, funding is tied to certain time and quality requirements:
- The measure must comprise at least 400 teaching hours (minimum duration).
- In the case of full-time measures, as a rule at least 25 teaching hours per week must take place on 4 working days (full-time further training density). Full-time continuing education courses must not last longer than three years in total (maximum full-time time frame).
- In the case of part-time measures, the courses must comprise an average of at least 18 teaching hours per month (part-time continuing education density). Part-time measures may not last longer than four years in total (maximum part-time time frame).
- Measures deviating from this are,
- Part-time training courses which prepare trainees for the Crafts and Trades Code and for equivalent further training qualifications are eligible for funding if they comprise at least 200 teaching hours and are completed within 36 calendar months.
- Distance learning courses can be funded as part-time measures if they meet the general funding requirements of the AFBG and also comply with the requirements of the Distance Learning Protection Act.
- Under certain conditions
- certain conditions, measures which are partly carried out using electronic media and which are not subject to approval as distance learning in accordance with the Distance Learning Protection Act (§ 4a AFBG), if they are supplemented by physical and virtual face-to-face teaching or a comparable and binding media-supported communication and regular performance reviews are carried out.
Type and amount
A contribution is made to the costs of the course (measure contribution) and a contribution is made to cover subsistence needs (maintenance contribution). The measure contribution includes course and examination fees (excluding material costs) up to EUR 15,000. 50% of the funding for the measure contribution is provided in the form of a grant. Funding for the maintenance contribution is provided in the form of a 100% grant.
Participants in full-time measures receive an income and asset-dependent maintenance contribution of up to 783 euros plus 150 euros per child up to the age of 14 as a grant for single parents, and above this amount as a bank loan.
The eligible group of persons is defined in § 8 AFBG.
- The vocational qualification sought must be above the level of a skilled worker's, journeyman's and assistant's examination or a vocational school qualification. A completed initial training is therefore often a prerequisite for admission to the advanced training examination. Not necessarily only the first upgrading further training is promoted, but in principle an upgrading further training. Anyone who has already completed a self-financed advanced further training course does not lose their entitlement to funding as a result.
- If a further training objective has already been funded under the AFBG, preparation for a further further training objective is funded under the AFBG if the intended further training objective builds on the further training objective already achieved. This is the case in particular if a further training objective at the next further training level within the meaning of Section 53a of the Vocational Training Act or Section 42a of the Crafts Code is being pursued. Funding may be provided once for all three levels in succession if the further training objective being pursued builds on the training objective already achieved. This is particularly the case if a further training objective is being pursued at the next further training level (i.e. sequence DQR 5 - DQR 6 - DQR 7, but not first DQR 7 and then DQR 6).
Eligible courses are only offered by certified providers who have a corresponding quality assurance system.
The application must be submitted in writing or electronically (see under online procedure) to the relevant Office for Educational Support. If the applicant has not yet submitted all the required documents for the decision on the application, the Office for Educational Support will contact the applicant and ask him/her to submit the missing documents. Other authorities are generally not involved.
The measure contribution must be applied for at the latest by the end of the measure or section of the measure. The maintenance contribution is paid from the beginning of the month in which the lessons actually start, but at the earliest from the beginning of the month of application.
The processing time or the total lead time between the submission of the application and the issuance of the approval notice should be expected to be approx. 6 to 8 weeks.
Aufstiegs-BAföG - Antragsformulare
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
Dieses Angebot unterstützt Sie durch Hilfestellungen bei der Eingabe Ihrer Antragsdaten und prüft diese auf Vollständigkeit und Plausibilität. Wenn Sie über einen Personalausweis mit freigeschaltetem elektronischen Identitätsnachweis verfügen, können Sie die Formblätter, die in der Regeln nur eine Unterschrift benötigen, sowie die beizufügenden Unterlagen, elektronisch an die zuständige Behörde senden. Formblätter, die von der Fortbildungsstätte ergänzt werden müssen oder nur auf ausdrückliche Anforderung vorzulegen sind, können nicht elektronisch übermittelt werden.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wissenschaft und Kunst
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited