Settlement permit; application
The settlement permit is an unlimited residence title and entitles the holder to pursue gainful employment. The requirements for issuance differ depending on the purpose of residence.
The requirements for the granting of a settlement permit differ depending on the purpose of residence.
§ Section 9 (2) Residence Act regulates the prerequisites for the settlement permit granted as a rule. Prerequisites include,
- that the foreigner has held the residence permit for five years,
- the foreigner's livelihood is secured
- the foreigner has made compulsory or voluntary contributions to the statutory pension insurance for at least 60 months,
- the foreigner has sufficient knowledge of the German language,
- he/she has basic knowledge of the legal and social order and living conditions in the Federal Republic of Germany, and
- he has sufficient living space for himself and his family members living with him in a domestic community.
In addition, the Residence Act provides special regulations for the issuance of a settlement permit for certain purposes of residence, for which in some cases different requirements must be met.
If necessary, you may be required to produce additional documents
The documents to be presented may vary greatly. Please find out more details from your competent Aliens Department (Ausländerbehörde). As a general rule, the documents listed above will be required (among others).
Current biometric photo (front shot)
Supporting documents evidencing guaranteed means of subsistence
Supporting documents evidencing adequate living quarters
Supporting documents evidencing medical insurance coverage
- Settlement permit for highly qualified persons: 147 euros
- Settlement permit for self-employment: 124 euros
- Settlement permit in all other cases: 113 euros
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited