As a service institution of the Free State of Bavaria, the Landesstelle für die nichtstaatlichen Museen (State Office for the Preservation of Monuments), which is part of the Bayerisches Landesamt für Denkmalpflege (Bavarian State Office for the Preservation of Monuments), supports and advises the non-governmental museums in all technical matters of museum work. The Landesstelle provides state funding for projects of non-governmental museums.
The non-governmental museums supported by the Landesstelle include institutions maintained by local authorities, i.e. districts, counties, cities and municipalities, but also by institutions under public law, such as religious communities or institutions and foundations
under public law.
In addition, private-law forms of sponsorship also play an important role in the case of non-governmental museums: these include, in particular, museums run by associations, foundations, companies and private individuals, provided they are regularly open to the public.
Object and eligible costs
State grants to non-governmental museums in Bavaria can be awarded by the Landesstelle for the following purposes
, among others:
- Concepts (e.g. feasibility studies, utilization and exhibition concepts),
- Museum equipment and exhibition design (except special and temporary exhibitions),
- Creation of suitable conservation conditions for the presentation and safekeeping of museum property in exhibition and storage rooms, e.g. through the planning of measures for climate stabilization and light protection as well as for the establishment of depots (preventive conservation),
- conservation and restoration of museum objects
- Projects in the field of inventory and documentation as well as digitization,
- projects for the scientific indexing of museum holdings, especially for provenance research,
- didactic development of museum holdings (e.g. through infographics or audiovisual media),
- transfer of architectural objects to scientifically managed open-air museums,
- museum education projects, including planning and setting up museum education rooms,
- sustainable public relations projects.
The grants are awarded as project funding by way of partial financing for investment measures that are of lasting benefit to the museum. Particular importance is attached to measures for the implementation of inclusion. Expenditures for ongoing operations or for special and temporary exhibitions are not funded. Structural measures, the installation of building services and security equipment in the museum building are also not eligible for funding.
Type and amount
The funding is provided as a share of the total eligible costs. The amount of funding depends on the technical necessity of the measure and the need of the applicant.
The significance and urgency of the project are decisive for the allocation of the funding.
There is no legal entitlement to funding. Funding is provided in accordance with the budgetary resources available.