Residence permit; application for the purpose of study

Foreign nationals from countries outside the EU who wish to study in Germany can apply for a residence permit.



Entry for study purposes generally requires an authorized visa from the German mission abroad. This is usually issued for six months.

Further requirements are, among others

  • fulfilled university admission requirements
  • proof of admission to studies at a university/college or certificate of enrollment
  • proof of sufficient means of subsistence - for this proof, the law provides for simplifications based on the regulations on need in the Federal Training Assistance Act (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz)
  • sufficient health insurance coverage.

Required documents

  • Documents for the subsequent immigration of family members

    The documents required are manifold and may vary considerably. Please consult your competent Aliens Department.

  • Valid passport

  • Current biometric photo (front shot)

  • Supporting documents evidencing guaranteed means of subsistence

  • Certificate of enrolment

  • Supporting documents evidencing medical insurance coverage

  • if necessary, further documents


  • Issue:

    • Period of validity up to one year: 100 Euro
    • Period of validity of more than one year: 100 Euro


    • up to three months: 96 Euro
    • from more than three months: 93 Euro


Administrative court proceedings; information

administrative claim

Links to more information


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.