eID card; application
Citizens of the Union and nationals of a state belonging to the European Economic Area can apply for the eID card at their competent municipality.
For nationals of a Member State of the European Union or of a State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area who are not Germans within the meaning of Article 116 (1) of the Basic Law, a card with an electronic proof of identity function (eID card) will be issued upon application.
The eID card is not an identity document in the classic sense, but enables electronic proof of identity to be used for eGovernment services at the highest level of trust. In addition, it can be used for on-site readout for the purpose of transferring form data without media disruption among persons present.
Since the eID card is designed exclusively for online use and does not serve as an identification document or travel document, the eID card lacks data such as a photograph, signature, size and eye color. Certain data (such as address and citizenship) is stored only on the electronic storage medium (chip).
The eID card can only be issued to applicants aged 16 and over.
It is issued for a validity period of ten years.
In the Free State of Bavaria, the (residence) municipalities are the responsible eID card authorities. In the case of several residences, the main residence is to be taken into account.
If the person is not required to register, the eID card authority in whose district the person lives at the time of the application or the event triggering the official activity is responsible.
- Citizen of the European Union or of a country belonging to the European Economic Area.
- Minimum age: 16 years
- The eID card applicant must submit a formal application to the relevant municipality.
- The eID card applicant must always appear in person at the eID card authority to verify his/her identity.
For production-related reasons, the production time can take between four and several weeks. Please contact your eID card authority for the current average production time.
recognised and valid foreign passport or identity card
if the person is not subject to registration in Germany: Proof of residence or address
- Fee for issuing an eID card: 37.00 EUR
- if the PIN letter is sent abroad: reimbursement of expenses
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited