Winter allowance; application

If your company belongs to the construction industry or is treated as such and you lose work during the so-called bad weather period, you can receive a winter allowance under certain conditions and thus partially compensate for your employees' loss of earnings.



You can apply for a winter allowance for

  • temporary and unavoidable loss of working hours
    • for economic reasons or
    • for weather-related reasons or
    • as a result of an unavoidable event and
  • the release of working time credits so that no seasonal short-time allowance is claimed.

Operational requirements:

  • Your company belongs to the building trade, scaffolding trade, roofing trade or gardening and landscaping trade.
  • Your company or company department employs at least 1 employee.

Personal requirements:

  • Employees subject to commercial insurance contributions who have not been dismissed and with whom no termination agreement has been concluded
  • Working time credit is dissolved


You can apply for the winter allowance in writing or online.

If you want to apply for the winter allowance in writing:

  • You release the working time credit to compensate for the employees' loss of working hours.
  • You pay the pay and the winter allowance to your employees for each hour of the working time credit and pay social security contributions.
  • You apply for reimbursement of the subsidized winter allowance retroactively each month at the responsible office of the employment agency (application for seasonal short-time allowance and payroll list)
  • The employment agency checks the application and the payroll list, and the approved subsidized winter allowance is transferred.
  • After the end of the bad weather period, the employment agency checks the submitted statements and corrects the approved winter allowance if necessary.

If you want to apply for the winter allowance online:

  • Go to the "eServices" portal on the Federal Employment Agency's website.
  • Log in with your user ID and call up the application for seasonal short-time allowance.
  • Complete the application, upload the payroll list and send the application.
  • The employment agency will check your application and your documents.
  • You will receive a decision on your application from the Employment Agency.
  • The remaining procedural steps are the same as the written procedure.

Special notes

The receipt of subsidized winter allowance is tax-free.


You must submit the application within 3 months of the end of the calendar month for which you wish to apply for a winter allowance.

Processing time

Your application will usually be processed within 15 working days. (0 to 15 working days)

Required documents

  • Required Documents

    • Application for seasonal short-time allowance (S-Kug) and supplementary benefits
    • Settlement List for Seasonal Short-Time Allowance (S-Kug) and Supplementary Benefits - Attachment to Application for Benefits

Online procedures


  • Fee: none


  • Objection
  • Action before the social court


Responsible for editing:Bundesministerium für Arbeit und Soziales

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.