Residence; deregistration

When you move out of your home, you are obliged to deregister with the relevant registration office (municipality or city) within two weeks, unless you move into a new home in Germany.


If you move out of your apartment and do not move into a new apartment in Germany (e.g. if you move abroad), you must deregister.

If you give up one of several apartments (secondary apartments), you must deregister the apartment you have given up. The registration office responsible for the abandoned apartment requires a completed and signed deregistration form, the identity card, the recognized and valid passport or the passport replacement document for your deregistration. If the registration register is kept automatically, you do not need to fill in the deregistration form if you appear in person at the registration office and confirm the correctness and completeness of the data collected by the registration office by signing a printout. Spouses, life partners and family members with the same previous and future residences can use one deregistration form; it is sufficient if one of the persons required to register signs the registration form.

Deregistration abroad can also be done in writing or electronically. In the case of electronic deregistration, proof of the identity of the person required to deregister can be provided by stating the surname, first name, date of birth and serial number of the last ID card or passport stored in the population register (Section 3 (1) No. 17 of the Federal Registration Act). Also inform the registration office of the address where you moved to and the country if you move abroad.

De-registration ex officio is possible and takes place if you have not fulfilled your obligation to de-register.

If you only have one apartment that you are giving up and are moving into another apartment in Germany, it is sufficient to register at the new place of residence. The registration office at the new place of residence will notify your former municipality that you have moved.

If you do not deregister within two weeks, you are acting irregularly. In this case, you can be fined up to €1,000.


Actual moving out of the dwelling and not moving into a new dwelling in the country. In the case of a temporary absence with the possibility and intention to continue using the apartment, there is no obligation to deregister.


Deregistration must take place within two weeks after the actual move-out. The earliest possible time for deregistration abroad is one week before moving out.

Required documents

  • completed and signed deregistration form

    (Deregistration form is available at the registration office)

  • Identity card, passport or passport substitute (in case of written deregistration in copy; in case of electronic deregistration not necessary, as far as above mentioned data are given)


  • none


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.