In cases of hardship, projects for the rehabilitation of existing public water supply and wastewater disposal facilities are funded if they lead to unreasonable burdens on local authorities and citizens.
In cases of hardship, the following are subsidized
- the structural rehabilitation of existing drinking water pipes and sewers (No. 2.2.1 RZWas 2021) and
- the initial construction of interconnecting pipelines for water supply facilities as well as the initial construction of interconnecting sewers when sewage treatment plants are abandoned (No. 2.2.2 RZWas 2021),
- the structural rehabilitation of existing drinking water production and treatment plants, drinking water reservoirs, sewage treatment plants, pumping stations and stormwater tanks (No. 2.2.3 RZWas 2021),
- the accession of the facility operator to a special-purpose association (No. 2.2.4 RZWas 2021), and
- the preparation of rehabilitation and structural concepts (No. 2.2.5 RZWas 2021).
Funding is available for municipalities with up to 20,000 inhabitants, their own undertakings, special-purpose associations and municipal undertakings that levy contributions and/or charges or water prices; undertakings undergoing private-law reform and water and soil associations, provided that a regional authority has a 100% share.
Hardship funding is provided for projects under Nos. 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 RZWas 2021 on a length-dependent basis with fixed funding lump sums. In the case of projects under Nos. 2.2.3, 2.2.4 and 2.2.5, the flat rates are calculated on the basis of population figures. The eligible costs are determined by the expenses carried forward in the construction expenditure book after execution of the measure less the non-eligible expenses pursuant to No. 5.3 RZWas 2021.
Type and amount
The grants are awarded on a project-related basis by way of share financing as allocations. Hardship funding is provided with fixed funding lump sums (net):
- 120 euros per meter of water pipeline rehabilitated,
- 80 euros per meter of interconnected pipeline built for the first time (no minimum subsidy),
- 150 euros per renovated meter of sewer,
- 300 euros per meter of sewer renewed, and
- 125 euros per meter of interconnected sewer built for the first time (no minimum subsidy),
The subsidy is set at a minimum of 40% and a maximum of 90% of the eligible construction costs. Once hardship threshold 2 is reached, the flat-rate subsidies increase to:
- 180 euros per renovated meter of water pipe,
- 225 euros per meter of sewer renovated,
- 450 euros per renewed meter of sewer,
Once hardship threshold 2 is reached, the subsidy is set at a minimum of 70% and a maximum of 90% of the eligible implementation costs. In addition, the following flat-rate subsidies are available:
- 250 euros per connected inhabitant for plant rehabilitation in accordance with No. 5.4.3, up to a maximum of 70 % of the eligible implementation costs,
- 40 euros per resident taken in by a special-purpose association in accordance with No. 5.4.4, up to a maximum of 100,000 euros, and
- 20 euros per connected inhabitant for redevelopment and structural concepts according to No. 5.4.5 RZWas 2021, a maximum of 70 % of the eligible implementation costs and a maximum of 50,000 euros.