Firearms license; application for renewal
When your firearms license expires, you must have it renewed.
You will receive the firearms license for a maximum of 3 years. You can have the firearms license extended twice for a maximum of 3 years.
You can obtain a firearms license to carry firearms that require a permit. A distinction is made between firearms that require a permit and firearms that do not require a permit. To be allowed to carry firearms without a permit, you need a small firearms license (see further information). A list of weapons for the acquisition and possession of which you do not need a permit can be found in Annex 2 of the Weapons Act.
It is recommended that you inform yourself in detail about the regulations of the Weapons Law before applying.
With the weapons license you are allowed to possess a weapon outside of
- your own home
- your own business premises,
- your own contented property (e.g. your own garden) and
- a shooting range
to carry. If you carry the weapon, you must have the firearms license with you and be able to identify yourself with an ID card or passport.
To obtain the firearms license, you must
- have the appropriate age and
- Your need,
- your reliability under weapons law,
- your personal suitability,
- your expertise in handling weapons and ammunition,
- liability insurance covering personal injury and property damage in the amount of 1 million euros, and
- the safe storage of weapons and ammunition
Whether you (continue to) meet the requirements will be rechecked at renewal.
If you move to another city or municipality, you do not have to have your firearms license rewritten.
If you handle weapons and ammunition without the required weapons license, you may be subject to a fine or imprisonment.
- You must have a valid permit to purchase and possess a firearm (e.g. firearm ownership card).
- You must have a firearms license.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must prove that it is necessary for you to carry weapons in public (need).
In order to be allowed to carry weapons in public, you must provide a credible reason to the responsible weapons authority. A credible reason is usually recognized if.
- Your life is in great danger;
- you can credibly demonstrate other reasons why you want to carry weapons in public.
- You must prove your reliability under firearms law.
You may be judged unreliable under firearms law if, among other things
- you have been legally sentenced to a prison term of at least 1 year within the last 10 years or have been a member of or supported a prohibited organization within the last 10 years.
- it can be assumed that you misuse or improperly handle weapons or ammunition, do not store these items carefully or hand them over to persons who are not authorized to do so.
- you have been in preventive police custody more than once in the last 5 years with judicial authorization due to violence.
- You have repeatedly or grossly violated the weapons law.
- You must demonstrate personal fitness.
You may be judged to be personally unfit if, among other things
- You are legally incompetent.
- You are addicted to alcohol or other intoxicating substances, mentally ill or debilitated.
- You suffer from serious illnesses, such as brain injuries, or physical impairments, such as amputations or severe visual impairment.
- it can be assumed that you are not able to handle weapons or ammunition carefully or properly or that there is a concrete danger that you will endanger others or yourself.
- You must have liability insurance covering personal injury and property damage in the lump sum of 1 million euros.
You must have the firearms license renewed at the competent firearms authority. Submit the application together with the required documents.
The firearms authority will renew the firearms license if you meet the necessary requirements.
To help you complete the application more quickly, you can use NWR Identification Numbers (NWR ID):
- Your Personal NWR ID (P- or F-NWR ID) for your personal information.
- the permit-NWR-ID for the weapon-legal permit (E-NWR-ID)
- the weapon or weapon part NWR ID (W or T NWR ID).
You can obtain the NWR IDs upon application to the responsible weapons authority.
The following documents are required:
- Identity card or passport (copy)
- Weapons possession card and weapons license
- Proof of a need (for example proof of danger to your person)
- Proof of liability insurance in the amount of 1 million euros (lump sum for personal injury and property damage)
- The fees for the renewal of a firearms license range from 50 to 250 EUR.
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited