Technical consumer protection; market surveillance of active medical devices
The mission of the Trade Supervisory Office at the Government of Upper Palatinate is to ensure safe products in the area of technical consumer protection. This includes, among other things, active medical devices (those that depend on an energy source).
Economic operators (manufacturers, authorized representatives, importers and distributors) may only make safe medical devices available on the market. They are responsible for ensuring that their products are designed in such a way that users and third parties are protected from hazards to life and health. This is a significant contribution to the preventive protection of consumers and patients. The safety standard is based on the requirements of EU law and the European standards that govern the free movement of goods in the internal market.
In order to ensure that only safe medical devices that meet the high European standards are placed on the market (i.e. reach the consumer/patient), the Bavarian Trade Inspectorate performs the following tasks in particular.
The trade supervisory authority
- investigates reports of incidents and complaints,
- withdraws unsafe medical devices from circulation,
- controls relevant economic actors by means of inspections,
- inspects medical devices at trade fairs and exhibitions and in the trade (including online trade) by means of targeted spot checks,
- participates as a consumer protection authority in the Europe-wide EU rapid information system.
The product spectrum is large, ranging from simple blood pressure measuring devices to software applications "medical apps" and highly complex medical equipment.
If you have questions about requirements for active medical devices, or suspect that an active medical device does not meet the prescribed requirements, you can contact the Trade Inspectorate at the Government of Upper Palatinate directly.
The Bavarian State Ministry of Health and Care is responsible for monitoring the placing on the market of non-active medical devices, and the governments of Upper Bavaria and Upper Franconia (Pharmacy departments) are responsible as enforcement authorities.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Umwelt und Verbraucherschutz
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited