Additional winter allowance; application
If your company belongs to the construction industry or has the same status and your employees work in a weather-dependent job, you can receive additional winter pay under certain conditions and pay it to your employees.
The additional winter allowance is paid as a supplementary benefit for eligible hours worked for employees who are employed in a weather-dependent job. A job is weather-dependent if employees are exposed to the weather, e.g. snowfall, rain, frost. The extra work winter allowance is limited to companies
- of the building trade,
- the scaffolding trade,
- the roofing trade, and
- gardening and landscaping.
Your employees are entitled to EUR 1.00 additional winter allowance for each hour worked in a weather-dependent workplace.
You can only apply for the additional winter allowance for the period from December 15 to the last calendar day of February. The number of working hours that can be taken into account is
- in December up to 90 working hours
- in January and February up to 180 working hours each.
Mehraufands-Wintergeld can only be paid to employees who are commercially employed and subject to compulsory insurance. These are salaried employees whose employment contracts cannot be terminated for weather-related reasons during the bad weather period under the collective bargaining agreements. Salaried employees and foremen are not eligible.
Further information can be found on the website of the Federal Employment Agency.
You can only apply for Mehraufwands-Wintergeld for the period from December 15 to the last calendar day of February. You are only entitled to the extra work winter allowance for
- Employees whose employment cannot be terminated for weather-related reasons during the inclement weather period, and
- Hours worked at a weather-related job.
Your company must also
- belong to the building trade, scaffolding trade, roofing trade or gardening and landscaping trade and
- employ at least 1 employee.
You can apply for the Mehraufwands-Wintergeld in writing or online.
If you want to apply for the Mehraufwands-Wintergeld in writing:
- You calculate the pay and the additional winter allowance.
- You pay the wage and the additional winter allowance to your employees and pay social security contributions.
- You apply for reimbursement of the additional winter allowance monthly in arrears to the relevant office of the Employment Agency (application for seasonal short-time allowance and settlement list).
- The Employment Agency will check the application and the payroll list.
- If your application is approved, you will receive the winter allowance.
- After the end of the bad weather period, the Employment Agency will check the submitted accounts as part of a final audit and, if necessary, correct the approved additional winter allowance.
If you want to apply for the Mehraufwands-Wintergeld online:
- Call up the "eServices" portal on the website of the Federal Employment Agency.
- Log in with your user ID and call up the application for seasonal short-time allowance.
- Fill out the application, upload the payroll list and submit the application.
- The Employment Agency will review your application and documentation. You will receive a decision on your application from the Employment Agency.
- The remaining procedural steps correspond to the written procedure.
You must submit the application within 3 months of the end of the calendar month for which you wish to apply for Mehraufwands-Wintergeld.
Your request will usually be processed within 15 working days. (0 bis 15 Werktage)
- Application for seasonal short-time allowance (S-Kug) and supplementary benefits
- Settlement List for Seasonal Short-Time Allowance (S-Kug) and Supplementary Benefits - Attachment to Application for Benefits
Kurzarbeitergeld online anzeigen und beantragen
You can conveniently display and apply for short-time allowance online. You can also apply for seasonal short-time allowance online. Log on to the eServices portal using an account managed by the relevant employment agency. You can also apply for winter benefits via this service.
Kurzarbeitergeld-Dokumente elektronisch annehmen
As a company, transmit all application data for short-time allowance and winter allowance online to the Employment Agency.
- Action before the social court
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bundesministerium für Arbeit und Soziales
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited