European firearms pass; application

If you want to take your weapons within the European Union (EU) or to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, you need a European Firearms Pass.


The European Firearms Pass is valid for 5 years and can be renewed twice for 5 years each time.

Only weapons for which you have a valid permit for the acquisition and possession of weapons (weapons possession card or hunting license) are entered in your European Firearms Pass. Up to 10 weapons will be entered in the European Firearms Pass. If you want to take more weapons, you will receive another European Firearms Pass.

You may take the corresponding ammunition for the registered weapons, but only as much as you expect to need. As a hunter, experience shows that you need less ammunition than as a sport shooter.

The European Firearms Pass is not a guarantee that you will actually be allowed to take the registered weapons into the country. Therefore, before traveling, you should check whether you are allowed to take the weapons into the country in question. In addition to the European Firearms Pass, you must carry an identification document as well as the firearms ownership card in which the weapons are registered. It is also advisable to carry an invitation from the hunting club or the hunting license for the country or a confirmation of registration for a shooting competition.

The European Firearms Pass is not an import document and does not entitle you to permanently transfer firearms or ammunition abroad. For this you need other permits.


You must have a valid permit for the acquisition and possession of the weapons (e.g. hunting license or weapons possession card) to be entered in the European Firearms Pass.


You must apply for the European Firearms Pass at the competent firearms authority. Submit the application together with the required documents.

The firearms authority will issue you with the European Firearms Pass if you meet the necessary requirements.

Special notes

To help you complete the application more quickly, you can use NWR Identification Numbers (NWR ID):

  • Your PersonalNWR-ID (P- or F-NWR-ID) for the information about your person
  • the permitNWR-ID for the weapons permit (E-NWR-ID)
  • the weapons or parts of weapons NWR-ID (W- or T-NWR-ID).

You can obtain the NWR IDs on application to the relevant weapons authority.



Required documents

  • Identity card or passport (copy)
  • Weapons possession card
  • current photograph (not older than 1 year, at least 45 x 35 millimeters in size, with a light background)


  • 50,00 EUR


administrative claim

Status: 05.02.2023

Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.