Veterinarian; application for a license to practice veterinary medicine
Veterinarians can apply for a license to practice veterinary medicine if they have completed their veterinary training in Bavaria or in an EU member state, an EEA member state or in Switzerland and wish to practice veterinary medicine in Bavaria.
Anyone who wants to work as a veterinarian in Germany after studying veterinary medicine needs a special professional license - the Approbation. In Bavaria, this is issued by the Government of Upper Bavaria and the Government of Lower Franconia.
If you studied at the University of Munich, the Government of Upper Bavaria is responsible for you. The Government of Upper Bavaria is also responsible if you have studied in a member state of the European Union (EU) or a contracting state of the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and will in future work as a veterinarian in the administrative districts of Upper or Lower Bavaria, Swabia or the Upper Palatinate. If you intend to work in Upper Franconia, Middle Franconia or Lower Franconia, the Government of Lower Franconia is your contact.
Approbation is subject to various requirements relating to successful completion of studies, personal and health suitability for practicing the profession, and sufficient German language skills.
The application for licensure is not bound by any time limit.
Birth certificate/parentage certificate or extract from the parents' family register
if the name used differs from that on the birth certificate: proof of a change of name (e.g. marriage certificate)
valid proof of identity (e.g. passport)
complete and personally signed curriculum vitae
(tabular and chronological list of the training courses completed and the relevant gainful activities pursued, stating the periods (month/year) and enclosing the relevant supporting documents)
medical certificate (original)
This must be issued and signed by a general practitioner or internist practicing in Germany or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or in Switzerland and bear a practice or clinic stamp. If the practice or clinic stamp is not available in German, a German translation of the stamp is required.
Certificate of good conduct of document type "O
- If the applicant has already stayed in Germany for more than six months in the past or has had or still has a residence in Germany.
- In Germany, this must be applied for at the registration office of the place of residence, stating the purpose "Approbation as a veterinarian". The certificate of good conduct is sent directly to the competent authority by the Federal Office of Justice.
Proof of exemption from punishment
- Submission of criminal record extracts from all countries outside Germany in which the applicant has resided for more than six months.
- The criminal record excerpts must not be older than three months at the time the application is received.
- A certified copy of each of these extracts must be submitted.
- In addition, a certificate of good conduct of type "O" if the applicant has already stayed in Germany for more than six months in the past or has had or still has a residence in Germany (see above).
Proof of your completed education (certified copy)
- In the case of training in Bavaria, this is sent directly to the Berufszulassungsstelle by the Landesprüfungsamt.
- In the case of training in an EU member state, an EEA member state or in Switzerland: proof of training such as diploma or, if applicable, further country-specific proof in accordance with Annex 5 of Directive 2005/36/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 7 September 2005 on the recognition of professional qualifications.
for training abroad: if applicable, certificate of good standing (certified copy)
Required from all countries where the health professional activity has already been practiced.
for training abroad: proof of required German language skills (certified copy)
(A certificate from an ALTE-certified language institute at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) must be presented).
Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit, Pflege und Prävention
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited