Veterinary surgeon; application for licensure in case of training in a third country
Veterinarians can apply for a license to practice veterinary medicine if they have completed their veterinary training outside an EU member state, an EEA member state or Switzerland and wish to practice veterinary medicine in Bavaria.
Anyone who wants to work as a veterinarian in Germany after studying veterinary medicine needs a special professional license for this - the Approbation.
The Government of Upper Bavaria issues the Approbation if the training was completed outside a member state of the European Union (EU) or another contracting state of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and the profession is to be practiced in Bavaria.
Approbation is subject to various requirements relating to successful completion of studies, personal and health suitability for practicing the profession, and sufficient German language skills.
Applicants who have completed their training outside the European Union and the European Economic Area can - provided all other requirements are met - only be granted an Approbation if they have an equivalent level of training.
If the equivalence of the level of training is not given or if it can only be determined with unreasonable time or material effort, an equivalent level of knowledge must be proven. This proof is provided by passing a knowledge test that covers the content of the veterinary examination.
The application for licensure is not bound by any time limit.
Birth certificate/parentage certificate or extract from the parents' family register
if the name used differs from that on the birth certificate: proof of a change of name (e.g. marriage certificate)
valid proof of identity (e.g. passport)
complete and personally signed curriculum vitae
(tabular and chronological list of the training courses completed and the relevant gainful activities pursued, stating the periods (month/year) and enclosing the relevant supporting documents)
Proof of exemption from punishment
- Submission of criminal record extracts from all countries outside Germany in which the applicant has resided for more than six months.
- The criminal record excerpts must not be older than three months at the time of their submission.
- A certified copy of each of these extracts must be submitted.
Proof of your completed education (certified copy)
- Proof of education such as diploma
- If applicable, further country-specific certificates
- Overview of subjects completed during studies with number of hours and grades
- If applicable, proof of compulsory internships completed
Proof of authorisation to practise medicine in the country of training and/or the country of origin
if applicable, certificate of good standing (certified copy)
(Required from all countries where the health professional activity has already been exercised in the last five years. This certificate must not be older than three months at the time of its presentation).
If applicable, evidence of activity in the medical profession (e.g. certificates of employment and further training).
(original or certified copy)
Curriculum/study book, if applicable
Proof of required German language skills (certified copy)
(A certificate from an ALTE-certified language institute at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) must be presented).
On separate request:
- Certificate of good conduct of document type "O
- If the applicant has already stayed in Germany for more than six months in the past or has had or still has a residence in Germany.
- In Germany, this must be applied for at the registration office of the place of residence, stating the purpose "Approbation as a veterinary surgeon". The certificate of good conduct is sent directly to the competent authority by the Federal Office of Justice.
- It must not be older than one month at the time of submission.
- Medical certificate (original)
- It must be issued and signed by a general practitioner or internist practising in Germany or another contracting state of the Agreement on the European Economic Area or in Switzerland and bear a practice or clinic stamp. If the practice or clinic stamp is not available in German, a German translation of the stamp is required.
- It must not be older than three months when presented.
Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.
Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide:
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit und Pflege
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited