Aquaculture operations; application for a permit or registration

If you breed, keep or rear fish, you are obliged to have your business registered or approved by your competent veterinary office without being asked.



You must apply to the responsible Office for Food, Agriculture and Forestry (AELF) for the issue of a company number with the company type "fish farmer". Fish farmers who already have a 12-digit number, for example because they are also the operator of a farm or other livestock owner, must also register with the AELF and have the "fish farmer" farm type assigned to them. The application for approval or registration can only be submitted once this farm number has been assigned.

Special notes

The Fish Disease Ordinance does not apply

  • to fish that are only kept in aquariums for ornamental purposes and
  • to wild fish that are fished or caught for direct use as food.

The operation of aquaculture without an official permit or without registration is subject to a fine.


The approval or registration of an aquaculture business must take place before the respective activity begins.


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Umwelt und Verbraucherschutz

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.