Aquaculture operations; application for a permit or registration

If you breed, keep or rear fish, you are obliged to have your business registered or approved by your competent veterinary office without being asked.


An "aquaculture business" is any business that carries out an activity in connection with the breeding, keeping or rearing of fish.

Regardless of whether it is a main occupation, a secondary or additional occupation or a private hobby

  • Aquaculture businesses that produce set fish or sell food fish in large quantities (also nationwide) and
  • processing plants in which fish from aquacultures are killed as part of disease control measures,

a permit from the competent veterinary office.

The application for approval must contain the following information:

  • Name and address of the operator
  • Location and size of the facility
  • Number of ponds
  • Water supply
  • Inflow volume
  • Animal species kept and their use
  • Description of the measures taken to prevent the spread of diseases
  • If applicable, information on the treatment of waste water

The following businesses are only required to register with the competent veterinary office:

  • Establishments that keep fish that are not intended to be placed on the market, e.g. zoological facilities
  • Businesses that supply small quantities of fish from their own aquaculture (the direct supply of small (household) quantities includes fish reared by themselves and supplied as live, slaughtered or processed food fish) exclusively for human consumption directly to the end consumer or to local retail businesses (no intermediate trade) and
  • operators of fishing ponds (ponds in which fish are stocked exclusively for recreational fishing).

The following information must be provided for the notification of the business:

  • Name and address of the operator
  • Location and size of the facility
  • Number of ponds
  • Water supply
  • Inflow volume
  • Fish species kept and their use


You must apply to the responsible Office for Food, Agriculture and Forestry for the issue of a company number with the company type "fish farmer". Fish farmers who already have a 12-digit number, for example because they also operate a farm or are other livestock farmers, must also register with the Office for Food, Agriculture and Forestry and also have the "fish farmer" farm type assigned to them. The application for approval or registration can only be submitted once this farm number has been assigned.

Special notes

The Fish Disease Ordinance does not apply

  • to fish that are only kept in aquariums for ornamental purposes and
  • to wild fish that are fished or caught for direct use as food.

The operation of aquaculture without an official permit or without registration is subject to a fine.


The approval and registration of a fish farm must take place before the respective activity begins.


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Umwelt und Verbraucherschutz

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.