Imports, transit, exports and intra-Community movements in accordance with animal health and food legislation; application for a permit

If you wish to import or transport animals, animal products or goods that may be carriers of infectious agents through Germany, you must apply for a permit.





The first point of contact is always the local official veterinarian. All imports from third countries must take place via a veterinary border inspection post on first contact with an EU country.

The application can be made informally in writing, by fax or e-mail. The official veterinarian can provide information if certificates must be enclosed in accordance with specified models.

All declarations for consignments of animal origin from third countries must be made in TRACES NT. TRACES-NT is a web application designed to achieve better control and traceability of animal transports and transports of animal products. TRACES-NT is based on personalized access. This means that every transport employee needs a user account (EU login) in TRACES-NT if they want to work in TRACES-NT and create GGEDs. If not already available, a corresponding access to the system must be created.

Special notes

Intra-Community movement refers to movement between the Member States of the European Union.

Animals and goods are imported from third countries. These are countries that do not belong to the European Union.

Transit refers to imported consignments that are subsequently re-exported. This means that they come from a third country and also return to a third country.

Before each movement, import or transit, it should be clarified exactly which requirements must be met in order to prevent the animals or goods from being rejected at the border inspection post.


No deadlines need to be observed for the application itself. When handling trade, e.g. the transportation of livestock, official notification obligations of partner veterinary authorities in other EU Member States may arise, about which the official veterinarian will provide information.

Required documents

  • The documents vary depending on the individual case. Please contact the responsible office.

Online procedures


    The EU database TRACES-NT is used, among other things, to document imports of animals and products of animal and non-animal origin from third countries. To access TRACES-NT, an "EU login" is required. For this purpose, the entrepreneur must register once and will be activated by the competent authority.


  • The fees depend on the individual case and vary greatly. If necessary, ask the responsible authority.

Legal bases

Links to more information


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Umwelt und Verbraucherschutz

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.