Shooting permit; application

Permission to shoot with a firearm is granted by a permit issued by the competent district administrative authority (district office or independent city).


Permission to shoot with a firearm is granted by means of a permit issued by the district administrative authority responsible for you (district office or independent city) (§ 10 para. 5 WaffG).

In certain rare cases, shooting with firearms can also be without a permit. For example, shooting at a shooting range does not require a permit.

The need for a special shooting permit can be justified, for example, with the control of pests, insofar as the use of weapons is a suitable means of controlling the respective species (e.g. pest control in the fishing industry and in fruit or wine growing outside of § 12 para 4 WaffG).

Further reasons for need, which can lead to the granting of a shooting permit, can exist in the area of customs as well as in the shooting of wild game or other free-living animal species. The killing of feral domestic pigeons in inner city areas to protect the population from pathogens and historic buildings from damage by pigeon droppings is also not a hunting practice in the sense of the Federal Hunting Act and therefore requires a shooting permit under weapons law, for which a need must be made credible.


A permit requires that the applicant

  • has reached the age of 18, or 21 for the acquisition and possession of large-calibre weapons by sport shooters,
  • has the required reliability and personal suitability,
  • has demonstrated the necessary expertise,
  • has proven a need
  • has proven insurance against liability in the amount of 1 million euros - lump sum for personal injury and property damage.

In addition, a shooting permit requires the existence of a permit under weapons law for the acquisition and possession of the firearms with which shooting is to take place (weapons possession card) - see "Related topics".

Reliability is generally checked by the district administrative authority. Proof of expertise, need and liability insurance must be provided by the applicant.

Required documents

  • Certificate of competence
  • Proof of need
  • Proof of insurance against liability in the amount of 1 million euros - lump sum for personal injury and property damage

Status: 20.08.2021

Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.