Veterinary surgeon; application for recognition of a foreign certificate of training from the EU
You can apply for recognition of a further training certificate from the EU or EEA and for the award of the corresponding German designation.
If you have acquired a certificate of further training within the meaning of Article 27 in conjunction with Article 50 of the Bavarian Heilberufekammergesetz (Bavarian Health Professions Chamber Act) in a state of the European Union or the European Economic Area or in a state to which Germany and the European Union have granted a corresponding legal entitlement, this may be recognised under certain circumstances and the corresponding German designation awarded in accordance with the Weiterbildungsordnung für die Tierärzte in Bayern (Bavarian Veterinary Training Regulations). Article 50 of the Bavarian Heilberufe-Kammergesetz (Bavarian Chamber of Health Professions Act), this can be recognised under certain circumstances and the corresponding German designation can be awarded in accordance with the further training regulations for veterinarians in Bavaria.
You can submit the application to the Bavarian Chamber of Veterinary Surgeons on the basis of the EU Directive 2005/36/EC on the recognition of professional qualifications in conjunction with Section 20 of the Regulations on Further Training for Veterinary Surgeons in Bavaria.
The Bavarian Chamber of Veterinary Surgeons examines the equivalence of the level of further training. The level of further training is to be considered equivalent if your further training does not show any essential differences compared to the further training according to the further training regulations for veterinarians in Bavaria in the applicable version.
If substantial differences are found, these can be compensated in whole or in part by knowledge, experience and skills acquired by you in the course of your professional practice in a member state of the EU, an EEA state, a contracting state or a third country.
If the substantial differences are not compensated for by your professional experience, you have the choice between an adaptation period of a maximum of three years or an aptitude test. If applicable, the examination covers those knowledge, experience and skills in which there are substantial differences.
- Veterinary license
- Membership of a veterinary district association in Bavaria
- Certificate of further education from the territory of the EU, the EEA or a contracting state
The application must be submitted in writing to the Bavarian Chamber of Veterinary Surgeons together with the necessary supporting documents (see under "Required documents").
The Bavarian Chamber of Veterinary Surgeons confirms receipt of the application documents within one month. It informs which documents are missing, if any. It decides on the application no later than three months after receipt of the complete documents. In justified cases, this deadline may be extended by one month.
The application shall be accompanied by:
- Licensing certificate - uncertified copy
- Diploma/certificate of basic veterinary training - in original language with German translation by an officially sworn translator
- if applicable, doctoral certificate - in original language with German translation by an officially sworn translator
- if applicable, summary of the dissertation (if subject-related) - in original language with German translation by an officially sworn translator
- Diploma/recognition/certificate of completed further training - in original language with German translation by an officially sworn translator
- Curriculum of the completed further training course - in original language with German translation by an officially sworn translator
- If required by the Bavarian Chamber of Veterinary Surgeons, further documents may be required.
Please select a location in "Localization" so that the address of the responsible authority can be filled in.
The fees are charged on a time and material basis in accordance with the administrative fee statutes of the Bavarian State Chamber of Veterinary Surgeons.
A minimum fee of 200.00 EUR must be paid at the time of application.
The maximum fee is 300.00 EUR.
Administrative court action; in the event of a review, also appeal
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit und Pflege
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited