Rental car permit; application
You need a rental car permit if you want to transport people commercially with rental cars. This does not mean the rental of vehicles to self-drivers.
Transport with hired vehicles is the transport of persons with passenger vehicles which are hired for transport only as a whole and with which the entrepreneur carries out journeys, the purpose, destination and course of which are determined by the hirer and which are not transport with cabs and not bundled demand transport.
This does not mean the renting of vehicles to self-drivers.
You may only rent the vehicle as a whole. The hirer (passenger) determines the purpose, the destination and the course of the trips.
You can obtain the permit for a maximum of five years. After that, you can apply for renewal.
Rental cars differ from cabs in the following ways:
- You may not keep rental cars available in public places/streets for passenger transportation. They must return to the company's place of business after each transport.
- They have no duty to operate and transport.
- The fare is freely agreed. However, they must determine it with a distance meter.
- The color of the vehicles is not specified.
- The number of permits is not limited.
- The entrepreneur or the persons appointed for the management must be reliable.
- The entrepreneur or the persons appointed for the management must be professionally suitable.
- The company must be secure and financially efficient.
- The company's registered office or place of business must be in Germany (as defined by commercial law).
You must apply for the rental car permit at the competent office. Depending on the offer of your competent body, you can download an application form on the Internet.
The competent body conducts a hearing procedure. As part of this, it requests opinions from other bodies, including the following
- trade supervisory authorities,
- the Chamber of Industry and Commerce
- the relevant trade unions and professional associations.
After the deadline for the comments has expired, it makes a final decision on the application and informs the applicant in writing of the result.
Usually, the competent body will decide on your application within three months.
The period can be extended by a maximum of another three months. The prerequisite is that the competent office has announced this in good time (within the first three months) in a written interim decision.
Frame fee for approval: 50,00 - 500,00 EUR
For regular cases it is
- for the first vehicle: 60 EUR
- for each additional vehicle: 30 EUR
These amounts are not binding for the licensing authority.
In case of excessive administrative expenses, the licensing authority may deviate from them up to the maximum amount of the framework fee.
You may incur additional costs for register information and the preparation of other supporting documents.
Action before the competent administrative court
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wohnen, Bau und Verkehr
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited