Regional management and regional initiatives; application for funding
The Free State of Bavaria promotes the implementation of projects in future topics of state development through regional management, regional marketing and conversion management (regional initiatives).
The Free State of Bavaria supports the implementation of projects of regional management and regional marketing as well as through regional initiatives for military and conversion sites on the basis of the Directive for the Promotion of Regional Initiatives in the Free State of Bavaria for Future Projects of Regional Development (Förderrichtlinie Landesentwicklung - FöRLa) of November 05, 2020 (BayMBl. No. 670), amended by the announcement of August 05, 2021 (BayMBl. No. 588). The project funding is thus intended to contribute to the creation and maintenance of equal living and working conditions in Bavaria. In addition, regional networks are to be expanded and flexible, customized solutions developed to meet local challenges.
Funding is provided for innovative, regional projects in five central future topics of state development:
- Demographic change
- Settlement development
- Regional identity
- Climate change
Recipients of funding
Eligible to apply for and receive funding are the legally responsible public or private-law sponsors of regional initiatives in the Free State of Bavaria established in consultation with the Bavarian State Ministry of Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy. If the establishment of a regional initiative is to be prepared by means of funding, the regional authority or one of the regional authorities concerned is eligible to apply for and receive funding.
Funding is available for expenses for personnel, travel and accommodation, hospitality at high-profile events, public relations work and services provided by third parties.
Type and amount
The grant is awarded as project funding by way of partial financing.
The standard funding for regional management and regional marketing is generally a maximum of 100,000 euros per project year and regional initiative. The amount of funding is increased by up to 50,000 euros per project year if the majority of the regional initiative's spatial sphere of activity is located in a region with a special need for action (RmbH), its scope completely covers an area of more than two counties or, in the case of spatial congruence, cooperation with a regional planning association takes place on a permanent basis.
The Regional Initiative European Metropolitan Region Munich and the Regional Initiative European Metropolitan Region Nuremberg may each apply for funding of up to 150,000 euros per project year in addition to the regular funding.
The standard funding for Regional Initiatives for Military and Conversion Sites is generally a maximum of 150,000 euros per project year.
Special funding for projects on the topic of land conservation with a maximum funding amount of 50,000 euros per project year and in the case of serious economic upheaval (special funding for transformation processes) with a maximum funding amount of 150,000 euros per project year is possible.
Funding can initially be claimed for a maximum of three years (basic phase). After successful evaluation, follow-up funding for a maximum of three additional years is possible.
Regions that do not currently have a regional initiative can receive one-time funding of up to 50,000 euros (increased by up to 25,000 euros in the case of extensive citizen participation) per project year for up to two years for so-called strategy funding. This enables the region to develop a cross-sectional regional development strategy with the involvement of the relevant stakeholders, which can then be transferred to a regional management.
The funding rate is generally between 50 % and 90 %, depending on the spatial scope of the project.
Essential requirements for funding
- Conformity of the projects with the specifications of the Bavarian State Development Program and the relevant regional plans.
- Conformity of the projects with existing regional development strategies
- Coordination of the projects with existing development initiatives
- Contribution of the projects to a cross-sectional regional development
- Development and implementation of the projects by the regional initiative
- Eligible minimum expenditure of more than 10,000 euros per project and more than 25,000 euros per application
- Securing of the total funding
- Presentation of an evaluation concept for each grant period
- Conduct of a consultation with representatives of the responsible department of the State Ministry for Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy and the responsible representatives for regional management and regional initiatives at the respective district government before submitting the application
- Application using the sample forms
- In the case of regional initiatives for military and conversion sites: requirement that the military presence on site is associated with significant socio-economic and infrastructural challenges for the region and that the funding projects to be implemented are directly related to these impacts.
The preliminary coordination of project ideas takes place together with the representatives for regional management and regional initiatives at the district governments and the State Ministry for Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy within the framework of a consultation meeting. If the project is basically eligible for funding, the Regional Initiative will prepare a draft application.
The coordinated application must be submitted in duplicate by mail and digitally to the Bavarian State Ministry of Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy and digitally to the responsible district government.
The respective district government is responsible for approval. The approval period for project implementation is a maximum of three years.
The local government is responsible for the technical support of the project implementation. A steering group meeting is to be convened once a year to document the progress of the project. In addition, status reports on the progress of the project are to be submitted. The government is also responsible for checking the proof of use.
Funding is not possible if other funds of the Free State of Bavaria are used for the measure. Grants may only be awarded for projects that have not yet been started.
Funding is provided without legal entitlement within the framework of the available budget funds.
Applications for funding can be submitted within the period of validity of the Land Development Funding Directive (01.01.2021 - 31.12.2023) without any special deadlines.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wirtschaft, Landesentwicklung und Energie
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited