Animal welfare permit; application
According to § 11 of the Animal Protection Act, permits are required for certain animal husbandry and activities on or with animals, which are linked to the reliability and expertise of the operator and to animal husbandry appropriate to the species.
A permit under animal protection law must be applied for at the district administrative authority (Landratsamt) responsible for the applicant.
A permit under animal protection law in accordance with § 11 of the Animal Protection Act is required in particular in the following cases:
- Breeding and keeping of vertebrates for experimental purposes and comparable activities,
- Keeping animals in an animal shelter or similar facilities,
- Zoos or other facilities for the exhibition of animals,
- bringing or importing vertebrate animals (other than livestock) into the country for the purpose of giving them away for a fee or other consideration, or brokering such animals
- Training of guard dogs for third parties,
- Training dogs for third parties on a commercial basis or instructing the training of dogs by the animal owner on a commercial basis
- Conducting of animal exchanges,
- commercial breeding and keeping of animals (exception: agricultural animals),
- commercial animal trade,
- commercial operation of a riding and driving business,
- commercial exhibition of animals,
- commercial pest control of vertebrates.
The granting of the animal protection permit is a prerequisite for the operation of an establishment requiring a permit or for the commencement of an activity requiring a permit. It therefore has a preventive character for the protection of the animals concerned.
Depending on the case, further permits may be required, such as approval as an animal transporter or as a livestock dealer, building permit(s), approval of animal experiments (issued by the governments of Upper Bavaria and Lower Franconia), permits under species protection law; it is therefore advisable to enquire with the competent district administrative authority.
- required expertise for the respective activity
- suitable facilities and premises
- personal reliability
- Possibly use of suitable substances
The exact requirements depend on the individual case.
- Fees: 5 - 25,000 EUR (depending on the individual case) plus expenses
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Umwelt und Verbraucherschutz
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited