Specialist doctor; application for recognition of a foreign specialist qualification from a third country
If you have a specialist qualification from a country outside the European Union or the European Economic Area, you can apply for recognition under certain circumstances.
- Medical license to practice medicine
- Membership of a medical district association in Bavaria
- Proof of further training (specialist qualification) from a third country
The application form for recognition of a specialist qualification from a third country must be requested in writing (informally) or by telephone from the Bavarian Medical Association.
The completed application form must be sent to the Bavarian Medical Association together with the required documents.
The Bavarian State Medical Association will check whether the qualification of your specialist qualification acquired in the third state is equivalent to the designation applied for in accordance with the further training regulations for doctors in Bavaria.
If the specialist qualification is recognized, a certificate of German specialist competence will be issued.
If there are significant differences, an examination must be taken.
The Bavarian Medical Association will confirm receipt of the application documents within one month. It will indicate which documents may be missing. It will decide on recognition no later than three months after receipt of the complete documents. In justified cases, this period may be extended by one month.
- Diploma of basic medical training with apostille/legalisation in original language with translation by a translator officially sworn in Germany
- Diploma/recognition/certificate of completed further training with apostille/legalisation in original language with translation by a translator officially sworn in Germany.
- At the request of the Bavarian Medical Association, further documents may be required to prove the equivalence of the further training.
Applications for recognition of a specialist qualification from third countries are subject to a fee.
The fees are charged on a time and material basis in accordance with the applicable fee schedule. A minimum fee of EUR 125.00 is due when the application is submitted. It will be included in the final invoice upon completion. The maximum fee is EUR 1000.00.
Objection or administrative court action
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit, Pflege und Prävention
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited