Specialist; application for recognition of a foreign specialist qualification from a third country.
If you have a specialist qualification from a state outside the European Union or the European Economic Area, you can apply for recognition under certain circumstances.
If you hold a certificate of continuing education (specialist qualification) that was acquired in a state outside the European Union or the European Economic Area ("third country"), you can obtain recognition of the designation upon application if the equivalence of the level of continuing education is given.
- Medical license
- Membership of a medical district association in Bavaria
- Proof of further training (specialist qualification) from a third country
The application form for recognition of a specialist qualification from a third country must be requested in writing (informal) or by telephone from the Bavarian Medical Association.
The fully completed application form must be sent to the Bavarian Medical Association together with the required documents.
The Bavarian State Medical Association will check whether the qualification of your specialist qualification acquired in the third state is equivalent to the designation applied for in accordance with the further training regulations for the physicians of Bavaria.
If the specialist qualification is recognized, a certificate of German specialist competence will be issued.
If there are significant differences, an examination must be taken.
The Bavarian Medical Association will confirm receipt of the application documents within one month. It informs which documents are missing, if any. It decides on the recognition no later than three months after receipt of the complete documents. In justified cases, this deadline can be extended by one month.
- Diploma of basic medical training with apostille/legalisation in original language with translation by a translator officially sworn in Germany
- Diploma/recognition/certificate of completed further training with apostille/legalisation in original language with translation by a translator officially sworn in Germany.
- At the request of the Bavarian Medical Association, further documents may be required to prove the equivalence of the further training.
Applications for recognition of a specialist qualification from third countries are subject to a fee.
The fees are charged on a time and material basis in accordance with the applicable fee statutes. A minimum fee of EUR 125.00 is due upon submission of the application. It is taken into account in the final invoice upon completion. The maximum fee is 1000.00 EUR.
Objection or administrative court action
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Gesundheit und Pflege
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited