The passport or temporary passport is an official identification document for Germans, which is generally required for entry into or departure from the Federal Republic of Germany and can be applied for at the responsible municipality.
- German within the meaning of Article 116 (1) of the Basic Law
- Submission of a formal application to the relevant municipality by the passport applicant or legal representative (e.g. in the case of joint custody by both parents, if they are not only temporarily separated, usually by the parent with whom the child usually resides alone) or guardian
- Representation by an authorized representative is not permitted
- The passport applicant (i.e. also the minor) must appear in person at the passport authority to verify their identity.
According to the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community, it usually takes at least two weeks from the date of application before you can collect your passport from the Citizens' Office. In some cases, however, it can take several weeks. Please contact your local passport office for the current average production time.
In urgent and emergency cases, passports can be issued using the express procedure: If the express application is received by Bundesdruckerei GmbH by 12:00 noon, the passport will usually be ready for collection from the passport authority on the following third working day (Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays).
Temporary passport: Issuance and delivery are possible immediately.
Current biometric photo (front shot)
previous official identification document (passport, identity card or children's passport)
in the case of first-time issuance (this also includes new arrivals) or on occasion, as a rule further documents, e.g. civil status certificates, citizenship certificates
for passport applicants under the age of 18:
in the case of cohabiting parents who have joint parental responsibility, the application may be made by one parent with the written consent of the other parent, and the signature of the other parent shall be verified by the passport authority
if there is only one legal guardian: proof of custody
Evidence in case of temporary passport:
when issuing a temporary passport, the passport authorities may require the submission of appropriate evidence to demonstrate that a passport is needed immediately and that the issuance of an express passport is not possible until the date of expected first use.
Vollmacht zur Abholung des Reisepasses [Dateiformat: pdf]
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
- before the age of 24: EUR 37.50
- from the age of 24: EUR 70.00 from 01.01.2024
- Temporary passport: EUR 26.00
- Change of passport/temporary passport (only size and/or eye color): EUR 6.00 (change of residence free of charge)
- Surcharge for an express passport: EUR 32.00
- Surcharge for a passport with 48 pages: EUR 22.00
Doubling of the fees:
- When issuing a temporary passport or changing a passport, temporary passport, if this is done outside official office hours at the instigation of the applicant.
- When issuing a passport (even before the age of 24), temporary passport or change to a passport, temporary passport, if this is done by an incompetent authority at the instigation of the applicant.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited