The passport or temporary passport is an official identification document for Germans, which is basically required for entering or leaving the Federal Republic of Germany and can be applied for at the responsible municipality.
The electronic passport (ePassport) is an official photo ID for Germans that entitles the holder to cross the border of the Federal Republic of Germany. The holder of a valid German passport satisfies the legal requirement for identification, so that no identity card is required in addition.
The validity period of the passport depends on the age of the applicant, whereby an extension of the validity is not possible:
- before reaching the age of 24 years 6 years
- from the age of 24 years 10 years
- temporary passport: maximum 1 year
- Since November 1, 2007, fingerprints are additionally included in the chip of the passport (from the completed sixth year of life).
- Since November 1, 2010, order and artist names are again included in the passport.
- No one may hold more than one passport of the Federal Republic of Germany, unless a legitimate interest in the issuance of more than one passport is demonstrated.
- A temporary passport is to be issued only in justified, time-related individual cases, if the issuance of a passport in the express procedure (see also under "Processing time") is not (no longer) possible.
- Since 01.03.2017, the third generation passport is issued with new security features and materials.
Due to the Corona pandemic-related infection protection measures of the passport/identity card authorities or the resulting restrictions, if applicable, we ask you to take advantage of the possibilities of a digital/telephone appointment reservation at the responsible citizens' office in time to have a valid personal document (within the Schengen area: identity card; worldwide: passport) available for possible travels.
In the Free State of Bavaria, the (residence) municipalities are the responsible passport authorities. In case of several residences, the main residence is to be taken into account.
For passport matters abroad, the Foreign Office and its designated foreign missions of the Federal Republic of Germany are the competent passport authorities.
With the consent of the passport authority abroad, passport applications of Germans living abroad can be accepted and processed by passport authorities in Germany if an important reason is presented (e.g. if the route to the competent passport authority is considerably further than to the passport authority that is not competent).
- German national within the meaning of Article 116 (1) of the Basic Law.
- Submission of a formal application to the relevant municipality by the passport applicant or legal representative (e.g. in the case of joint custody by both parents, if they are not only temporarily separated, usually only by the parent with whom the child usually resides) or guardian.
- Representation by a proxy is not permitted
- In order to check the identity, the passport applicant (i.e. also the minor) must always appear in person at the passport office.
According to the Federal Ministry of the Interior, for Construction and Home Affairs, it usually takes at least two weeks from the time of application until you can pick up your passport at the Bürgeramt. In some cases, however, it can take several weeks. Please contact your passport office for information on the current average production time.
In urgent and emergency cases, the passport can be issued in an express procedure: If the express application is received by Bundesdruckerei GmbH by 12:00 noon, the passport will usually be ready for collection at the passport office on the following third working day (Monday to Friday count, excluding public holidays).
Temporary passport: Issuance and delivery are possible immediately.
Current biometric photo (front shot)
previous official identification document (passport, identity card or children's passport)
in the case of first-time issuance (this also includes new arrivals) or on occasion, as a rule further documents, e.g. civil status certificates, citizenship certificates
for passport applicants under the age of 18:
in the case of cohabiting parents who have joint parental responsibility, the application may be made by one parent with the written consent of the other parent, and the signature of the other parent shall be verified by the passport authority
if there is only one legal guardian: proof of custody
- before the age of 24: 37.50 EUR
- from the age of 24: 60,00 EUR
- temporary passport: 26,00 EUR
- Change of passport/temporary passport: 6,00 EUR
- Surcharge for an express passport: 32,00 EUR
- Surcharge for a passport with 48 pages: 22,00 EUR
Doubling of fees:
- In case of issuance of a temporary passport or change of a passport, temporary passport, if this is done outside the official office hours at the instigation of the applicant.
- When issuing a passport (even before reaching the age of 24), temporary passport or change of passport, temporary passport, if this is done by an incompetent authority at the instigation of the applicant.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited