Identity card; application
Germans can apply for an identity card at their local authority.
- German within the meaning of Article 116 (1) of the Basic Law;
- Submission of a formal application to the relevant municipality by the applicant (from the age of 16) or legal representative (e.g. in the case of joint custody by both parents, if they are not only temporarily separated, usually by the parent with whom the child usually resides) or guardian;
- Representation by an authorized representative is not permitted.
- The identity card applicant (i.e. also the child or young person under the age of 16) must always appear in person at the identity card authority to verify their identity.
According to the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community, it usually takes at least two weeks from the date of application before you can collect your ID card from the Citizens' Registration Office. In some cases, however, it can take several weeks. Please contact your local ID card office for information on the current average production time.
Provisional ID cards can be issued immediately.
Current biometric photo (front shot)
previous official identification document (passport, identity card or children's passport)
in the case of first-time issuance (this also includes new arrivals) or on occasion, as a rule further documents, e.g. civil status certificates, citizenship certificates
for identity card applicants under the age of 16:
in the case of parents living together and having joint parental responsibility, the application may be made by one parent with the written consent of the other parent, the signature of the other parent being verified by the identity card authority
if there is only one legal guardian: proof of custody
Vollmacht zur Abholung des neuen Personalausweises [Dateiformat: pdf]
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
Links to more information
Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
- Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
- Online transactions, locally limited
- Form, Bavaria-wide
- Form, locally limited
- Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
- Legal bases, locally limited
- Fees, Bavaria-wide
- Fees, locally limited