Weapons possession card; application for hunting association

If you want to acquire and possess weapons and/or ammunition as a hunting association, you must apply for a permit from the relevant weapons authority.



  • The hunting association must be a legal entity, i.e. registered in the register of associations, for example.
  • The responsible person must be at least 18 years old.
  • The responsible person must be reliable in terms of weapons law.

    He or she can be assessed as unreliable in terms of weapons law, among other things, if
    • within the last 10 years, he or she has been legally sentenced to a term of imprisonment of at least one year or has been a member of or supported a prohibited organization within the last 10 years.
    • it can be assumed that he/she misuses or improperly handles weapons or ammunition, does not keep these objects carefully or hands them over to persons who are not authorized to do so.
    • if he/she has been in preventive police custody more than once in the last 5 years with judicial authorization due to violence.
    • if he/she has repeatedly or grossly violated the weapons law.
  • The responsible person must be personally suitable.

    The responsible person can be assessed as personally unsuitable if, among other things
    • he or she is legally incompetent
    • he or she is addicted to alcohol or other intoxicating substances, is mentally ill or debilitated.
    • he/she suffers from serious illnesses, such as brain injuries, or physical impairments, such as amputations or severe visual impairment.
    • it can be assumed that he or she cannot handle weapons or ammunition carefully or properly or that there is a concrete danger that he or she will endanger others or himself or herself.
  • The responsible person must prove that he or she has sufficient knowledge of weapons and ammunition and how to handle them (expert knowledge).

    To be able to prove expert knowledge in handling weapons and ammunition, he or she must have taken part in an appropriate training course. The course comprises a theoretical and practical part. At the end of the course, an examination is taken before an authorized examination board. If the examination is passed, the responsible person receives a certificate indicating the weapons and ammunition for which the expertise has been acquired. The responsible person can also obtain the expert knowledge only for the weapons and ammunition that you wish to acquire and possess as a hunting association.

    The expert knowledge can also be proven by passing the hunter's examination.
  • You must prove that you can safely store weapons and ammunition.

    This generally means that only authorized persons may have access to weapons and ammunition. If you do not store your weapons and ammunition safely, you commit an administrative offense for which a fine of up to 10,000 EUR can be imposed. In addition, this may cast doubt on the reliability of the person responsible under weapons law and the hunting association may have its weapons possession card revoked.

    When submitting your application, you must provide information on both the storage location and the container in which you intend to store weapons and ammunition. The storage requirements are based on Section 13 of the General Weapons Act Ordinance (AWaffV). In case of doubt, please contact the authority responsible for you.

    In principle, you can orient yourself to the following requirements:
    • You must store ammunition requiring a permit in a sheet steel cabinet/container with a swing bolt lock or an equivalent locking device.
    • To store long guns and handguns requiring a permit, you need a gun cabinet. The type of gun cabinet you need depends on the number and type of weapons and/or ammunition you wish to acquire and possess.
      • In a gun cabinet with resistance grade 0 according to the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard with a weight of up to 200 kilograms, you may store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 5 handguns and ammunition.
      • In a firearms cabinet with resistance grade 0 in accordance with the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard with a weight of over 200 kilograms, you may store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 10 handguns and ammunition.
      • In a gun cabinet with resistance grade I according to the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard, you may store an unlimited number of long guns and handguns as well as ammunition.
    • The following regulations apply in principle to the place where you are allowed to install the weapons cabinet:
      • You may store up to 3 long guns even in buildings that are not permanently inhabited, such as a hunting lodge or a weekend house. For this, however, you need a weapons cabinet with resistance grade I.
      • If you live in a shared household with another person who is also entitled to possess weapons, you may store the weapons in a shared weapons cabinet.


You must apply for permission to acquire and possess weapons and/or ammunition requiring a permit from the relevant weapons authority. Submit the application together with the required documents.

Required documents

  • Required Documents:

    • Identity card or passport (copy)
    • Extract from the register of associations
    • Proof of expertise (responsible person)
    • Proof of storage, e.g. purchase contract for a gun cabinet and/or photos of gun cabinet and place of installation


  • The fees for the issuance of a weapons possession card are between 30 and 200 EUR. For more information, please contact your local administrative authority.


Administrative court proceedings; information

administrative claim


Responsible for editing:Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Form, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.