Study at a university; application for admission or pre-registration.

In degree programs where admission restrictions (numerus clausus) exist, admission to the desired degree program must be applied for. For degree programs with no admission restrictions, pre-registration may be required.


University degree programs combine research and teaching to provide a primarily science-based education. In degree programs where admission restrictions (numerus clausus) exist, admission to the desired degree program must be applied for. For degree programs with no admission restrictions, pre-registration may be required.

Universities are responsible for the further development of the sciences. They provide a scientific education that enables students to independently apply and develop scientific methods and knowledge. Universities have the right to award doctorates and habilitate; they train the next generation of scientists. Universities generally offer theology, humanities, law, economics, social sciences, medicine, natural sciences, engineering and the various teaching professions. In principle, a distinction must be made as to whether degrees are obtained through a university examination or a state examination ("Staatsexamen") or ecclesiastical examination.

University examinations

University examinations are used to acquire the academic degrees of Bachelor and Master. Since the winter semester 2009/2010, it has been the norm for first-year students to enroll in bachelor's degree programs.

The new degrees have replaced the former Diplom and Magister degrees. Depending on the subject group, Bachelor/Master of Science, of Engineering or of Arts degrees (previously Diplom) are awarded in the natural sciences and engineering; Bachelor/Master of Arts degrees (previously Magister) are awarded in the linguistics and cultural studies, and in some cases also in the social sciences and economics.

The advantages of the new degrees are shorter study times up to the first professional qualification (Bachelor) and a breakdown of the course content into firmly defined, combinable and transferable units (modules). At the end of such a unit, there are examinations during the course of study for which you receive credit points and which, in total, make up your overall qualification. You can take the credit points you have earned with you when you change your place of study. This facilitates the recognition and transfer of examination and study achievements at home and abroad.

State examinations/clerical examinations

In law, medicine and teaching, degree programs conclude with a state examination, in theology with an ecclesiastical examination.


With few exceptions, a doctorate is a prerequisite for an academic career and usually requires a master's degree.

Information with an overview of the addresses of all Bavarian universities (with links to the respective homepages) is provided by the Bavarian State Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs, Science and the Arts (see "Related Links").

Information on the specific application requirements and admission procedures can be obtained directly from the student secretariat of the respective university.


The qualification requirement for studying in university degree programs is the general or subject-specific university entrance qualification (which certificates can serve as proof of university entrance qualification in Bavaria is regulated in the Qualification Ordinance - QualV) or the general or subject-specific university entrance qualification for qualified professionals.

In some degree programs, vocational training/practical work and/or an aptitude test/suitability assessment must be successfully completed before the start of the degree program.

In degree programs with admission restrictions (numerus clausus), special admission to the desired degree program must be applied for. A distinction must be made here between

  • nationally restricted courses of study (currently: medicine, pharmacy, veterinary medicine and dentistry - in each case state examination)
    The application for admission for the first semester must be submitted by Germans and Germans of equal status to the Foundation for University Admission(Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung, In other cases, directly to the respective university.
  • Local courses of study, i.e. courses restricted to the individual university.
    In this case, the application for admission must be addressed to the respective university.

Study counseling is offered by:

  • general student advisory service at each university
  • the study advisor in the respective department of each university


Studies begin in the winter or summer semester (lectures begin approximately in mid-October or mid-April), in some programs only in the winter semester.

For nationally restricted programs, the application for admission must be submitted

  • for the summer semester, if the university entrance qualification was acquired before July 16 of the previous year, by November 30 of the previous year, otherwise by January 15,
  • for the winter semester, if the university entrance qualification was acquired before January 16, by May 31, otherwise by July 15,

must be received by the Foundation for Higher Education.

In the case of locally restricted courses of study, the application for admission must be received by the university by July 15 for the coming winter semester and by January 15 for the coming summer semester (cut-off deadline).

For a large number of the courses of study offered at the Technical University of Munich which are not subject to admission restrictions (with the exception of individual postgraduate courses of study), the intention to enroll must be announced in advance within the above-mentioned deadlines; in the course of study or partial course of study in sport, advance registration is only required if enrollment in a higher subject semester or a change of course of study is intended. Pre-registration is also required for some degree programs at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg.


  • A contribution to the respective student union and a contribution to administrative costs must be paid.

Status: 08.05.2023

Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wissenschaft und Kunst

Contains machine translated content. Show the original content

  • Online transactions, Bavaria-wide
  • Online transactions, locally limited
  • Prefillable Form, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, Bavaria-wide
  • Legal bases, locally limited
  • Fees, Bavaria-wide
  • Fees, locally limited
Bild zur Leistungsbeschreibung

Responsible for you

If you select a location under "Localization" the contact details of the responsible authority and, if applicable, locally valid information will be displayed.